Can't find any threads on a good oem tire

sizemoremk

What brand of stock sized tires have ya'll had a good riding experience with.

I would assume michiline, but if there is a comparable tire with a good ride for alot less, I can live with it. But I do want a "touring type" tire.

My lasy SC I had a put some "motgomery ward" brand tires on it, and it rode like a cadilac...

The tires on my car now have damn near all the tread on em, but I let them sit for too long before I started driving it, and I was told that they were probably flat spotted...

One guy (firestone) said that if the tire sits, for even a couple of months, the actual belt inside can develope flat spots.

Another guy, (a local tire shop with a good rep) said that the belt cannot flatspot and that whomever told that it could was inaccurate... he said that only the rubber surface coudl flatspot...

I don't know, at one time they did a "true balance" where they actually spun the tire with a machine at several speeds from like 50-100 MPH and used some other machine to shave material off.

It rode better for a week or so, but kept slinging weights, and I get a vibration at just abouit all sppeeds... I just had it realigned and re-balanced last week, and still feels the same... They said the alignment was juuuust barely off on one side in the front, and that the rear end was perfectly aligned...

Even at idleing speeds like waiting in line at the gate of the base I work at; it almost "wobbles" like the tires aren't perfectly round or something...so I'm about ready t quit messing with it and change the tires out.

BTW, I have already swapped darn near all the bushings in the front end and re-did the rear IRS differential bushing from MN12 perf. The front control arms and both sets of ball joints have been replaced... thre is no play in the front end when on the lift at all... plus the expert firestone guy checked it out and seen nothing wrong either.

The shocks seem OK, although I occasionally get 3 blinks indicating the passenger side shock is messed up... I take off the arc actuator and the light went away, put it back on, and get it back... spray some liquid wrench in the litte shaft and it worked again... every now and then I get a few blinks out of it...
As far as the bounce, I can get it to boucing and let go, and it may get half a bounce before it stops movement. The front maybe gets 3/4 of a bounce on when I let go....

Thanks alot guys!

Anyways after the novel back to the subject.. what brand tires do you guys HAVE SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE with ON YOUR SUPER COUPE???

I have always had great luck with any Goodyear P225/60R16. GA or RS-A the letters are always changing but the tire is pretty much the same.

I loved the Goodyear's that came with my 95 but they stoped making them when the SC stoped. After trying several I use the Firestone Corvette tire ZR50 or something. It has a longer wear life now. But this is not for a smooth ride like you want. Goodyear had a replacement Eagle that I hated in corners. But it was comfy on the road. Genearly the taller the side wall the softer the ride like the Goodyear replacement touring tire.

PS: regarding flat spots, if I let the Firestones sit for a long time they have a bump to them until they heat up then everything is fine. I took my car to a road race track where they mount and balance tires. They have a fine setting for the balance. They don't spin it faster. 3 of the 4 were off balance he detected. Never have I had such a good balance job. This is absolutly smooth at all speeds.

Last edited:
Vibration

Sounds like you definitely need new tires and also check the eight star pattern bolts on your subframe, when loose they will make your car vibrate like you have suspension problems galore!

I had the front end "pop" before, and I was told to tighten them bolts to stop it.

It did stop poping, but maybe I ddin't tighten them eough...

I'll have to look at the torque settings for em...

Michelin's are the best but they will probaly coast the most also. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are a Z rated tire. They cost about $190 installed at Costco. I'm sure that a Sam's Club would be about the same price but being that I work in the Tire Center at Costco I like them the best. The A/S ride great and handle dry, wet, and snow. Most of the guys with the vets put these tires on they say no other tires ride as nice. But thats my 2 cents.

Skip

P.S. The rubber can get flat spots but like the other guys said after they get warm the tire becomes round again.

if you want the stock Goodyear tires but don't want to pay the price, you can get the Kelley Charger ZR Directional. Kelley is owned by Goodyear and the tread design is the same. They seem to ride very nice even though I am running 245-50-16. They were 125 per tire or so. I would imagine the 225's would be much cheaper.

I had a set of stock size Michelen X ones for about two years. They stilled looked nearly new when I upgraded to some 17" X 9" wheels.

They were not Z rated but I don't drive 140 mph so it wasn't a problem.

David

Yoko's

My Yokohama AVID V4's have been excellent, great wear in the year I have had them. Also I have cut 2.2 60 foot times on them, so they stick as well . . . they are decent in the rain, average on the snow. And a good price too, under 100 US.

Dave

When I got my 94 it had Crapyear Eagle GTII in the stock size. I would never recommend these tires. They rode rough, had no dry or wet traction, and this was on a stock 94 5spd car. About the only thing they did well was wear. I now have Nitto NT 450 with is their all season tire in a 245/50 and love them. Tons more traction in both the dry and wet and they seem to wear well. Nittos are getting a great rep for being one hooking tire, especially the 555's

Back