Machinists help please!

J57ltr

I have a Wilton Vise (#1460 if it matters). Every time I tighten the vise the movable jaw causes the piece that I am working on to raise up about .005. Needless to say the part doesn’t come out square. I removed the small plate that holds jaw in place and cleaned it put it back together and it still does the same thing. Am I supposed to use shim material or what? The vise is brand new and didn’t come with and instructions just a cardboard box. It’s probably common knowledge among machinists but that’s not my thing.

Please help,

Jeff

About all vises will do that.On some peices you will need to place two parallel bars
under the work peice,in the vise.As you tighten the work peice down,tap on the work
peice to keep it seated down on the parallel bars,as you tighten the machinest vise.

How to hold a work peice can some times become the hardest part of a job.
Some times you can spend more time making a jig to hold the work peice than
it takes to machine the part your making.This is why machining a part cost so
much.Your paying for set up time,not the machining of the part.

One tool that you will need. Will be T-SLOT CLAMP,T-SLOT TOE CLAMPS,UNIFORCE CLAMPS,
T-SLOT TOE CLAMPS,TOE CLAMPS,MITEE GRIP.These are basically the same.A t-slot goes in
the slot in your milling table.They all have some sort of foot that will be on top of the milling
table.A bolt or screw will go though the foot into the t-slot.As you tighten the bolt ,they will
stay in place.Next you push your work peice against the t-slot clamp.Then on the opposite
side of the work peice,place one or two more t-slot clamps.The t-slot clamps are beveled.
As you tighten them down, they will put a side force on the work peice holding it in place
on top of the mill table.And you can machine the top part of the work peice.As this type
clamp will hold the side of the work peice.They are 1/2in to 1/4 in tall.

Have you been able to locate a machinest supply catolog yet.Just looking at a catolog
is a big help ,and they will have a listing to buy a machinest hand book.This will help
you on making jigs,will give you formulas,ect,very boring reading for the average person.
And have tiny print.$25.00.

I do not know it all but I am glad to help in what I can.

Parallel bars start at about $140.00 UP.T-Slot clamps $40.00.

Last edited:
Any time that you can bolt or clamp the work peice on the table, do so.
Don't allways use the vice because its handy. Your tolerances will be
closer.

And don't forget to tram in the table to the mill head,for closer tolerance.

Back