Main Cooling Fan - Compatible Aftermarket Fan?

rookie94sc

Anyone know of a comparable black magic or perma-cool (just examples) fan that I can use to replace the main cooling fan on my car? the motor is bad and it only is running on low not high. Had one of my mechanics at work test it and they verified that it is the fan not a relay. If someone knows of a replacement I'd appreciate it (preferably something that flows more air?) The factory replacement is $240 with my dealer employee discount, list is $500.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Auto Zone!

In TX. Auto Zone mini warehouse 24hr stores keep the OEM fan motors in stock. Both the big one and little one, depending on year. It is real easy to change out the motor instead of the entire fan from dealer.

I'll have to check the autozone locally tomorrow the website says they're not available... Shmucks doesn't have them either...

Is the fan motor the same for SC's and 4.6L LX's? I know the front fan motor should be the same size for both LX and SC, but not sure about the main radiator fan motor.

Last edited:
OK you have a 94/95 right? I have a 95 and it is a bigger motor than the front pusher fan. Don't know what is on an LX. But AZ had both motors. I bought the big main motor. The motor was made by the same company that Ford had on there. Here in Dallas Ft. Worth the AZ stores do not have it. But they have a few 24 hour stores that act like a small warehouse stocking additional part numbers. The regular stores can order it. But I just drive to the big one and match things up. They have the calipers also and other things the reular AZ does not. It may take you awhile to get it, but they can order it out of this area if nothing else. If push comes to shove I could ship one to you or maybe have the store do it. I have some extra fans for the older cars, but it won't plug into 94/95.

PS: Just noticed you have auto. I have 5spd. Don't know if they are different.

any chance you could get me autozone's part number? their website only shows fan motors for the 4.6L V8's (small motor and large motor) but not for the sc :(

AZ at 817-831-6555 in Haltom City, TX does not show a fan motor for 94 at all. I thought they were the same. Can you find out from Ford if the 95 5spd fan is same as your 94 auto? I would have sworn they are. The P/N: PM9008 is for the 95 two speed motor.

Now AZ does not always have the correct info in the computer I have found. So if Ford tells you or someone here knows that they are the same for sure then you got it.

Otherwise let me know and I will take a jpg of my motor and hook up so you can compare.

Doug

$79.99 at Auto Zone in Stock then

Almost forgot the price. That store has one in stock. I was pretty sure they were the same motor. AZ P/N: PM9008

Thanks :) and now that I know they're the same motor as the motor for the 4.6L fans I've found a bunch around here lol... it was just no one had anything in the computer for the sc's

Back