Should I buy this '93 SC??

ilusnforc

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...&advanced=n&start_year=1992&color=&cardist=13

I have a '92 LX V6 that i might trade for, and i may pay up to $500 with it in the trade. When i first looked at the car i could see it was repainted... no oil was on the dipstick so the guy added 3 quarts and about 1/4 quart came right back out on the ground in a black puddle, dripping from the very front edge of the oil pan (crank seal?). air filter is dirty, probably needs throttle body cleaned, could use a full tune up, 3 new belts, coolant flush... and a rear tail light with the bird emblem is damaged. it has other simple things, like you can see in the picture the bra has rips that were sewn back together, the whole drivers corner of front bumper cover is yellow from scraping the paint off on something, yellowed headlights can be buffed clear, looks like door handle was pulled off and screwed back together, windshield has crack entire length left to right, gutted cats, and the shifter is really sloppy and gears a difficult to find with occasional grinding.

I'm wondering what it will cost to fix this up to very good condition. I have friends telling me that if the oil is the way it is.. then you never know what may happen to the engine and that i shouldnt go near it. How much of a pain would it be to fix the oil leak, and what other damages could be done from it being like that?? i noticed it has JBL premium sound with missing sub and a cheap aftermarket CD player, and it has decent black leather interior (hard seats) and folding rear seats, big white stain on drivers side, and the sunroof makes loud clicks and hesitates. Any opinions on this??? Thanks for reading my long post.

edit: when floring it through 1st and 2nd, it will squat and pull pretty hard then just start to lose power almost halfway through the gear before shifting. and the brakes are good, i tested them well.

Last edited:
I'd say your probably looking at a headache, unless it really feels like an amazing deal then don't do it. I'm sure someone else is selling an SC in better condition

NO, the value of these cars will never go up and you will never get your money back. YES, if your are as dedicated to your SC as I am. I still think they are the greatest cars ever made. but let us face the truth as cool as these cars are they will never be as cool as a new car just for the simple reason that a new car is well a new car. and when it is all said and done your LX will be far more reliable for everyday driving. I know my LX is the one I choose to drive daily.

Last edited:
Personally I'd pass on it. Who knows how many miles were put on it running 3 quarts low. For the money you should definately be able to find a better one.

Forget that dealer

Hey San Antonio, keep away from the dealer on that car unless you can buy it for $500 and no trade. I have been buying SCs the past year for around 600 that are headaches. But we are doing our own work, and I realize that even a 1200 or 1500 car can become one. So I go for the cheap ones. This car definatly falls in that catqagory or soon will. Oil out the front?

3900 he is asking and for that you can get a good one with new engine and recent tranny or something. Get a 94 or 95 with decent milage for that money if you shop around. eBay used to have a bunch, but now the forum is a good place. Talk them down on price then fly out to get it and drive home. A guy in Florida has a flwless red 90 5spd for 5500. Talk him down to 4K maybe. Beutiful original car. Nothing in TX will be in good shape unless from the original owner and garaged or a NASA engineer in Houston. You know Texan's use up every muscle car there is. Maybe look out of state. Hope to see you next month at meet. I am hopefully getting 2 more next week and will sell you the AOD one if you want for less than that and no oil leak. It is red and needs windshield wiper motor, which I have. I am not in the business of selling them but that 93 needs to be checked out pretty close on the engine. How many miles on it?
Doug

Just a little more food for thought for you. I traded in my '92 LX (152,xxx miles and a failing HG) for an '89 SC (83,xxx miles with new HGs at roughly 30,xxx miles [unrelated dealership story there]). All in all the SC was in fair condidtion. The interior was excellent and the exterior appeared good. (minus the rust present on the underside). I took it to a trusted mechanic who told me that if it were him, he wouldn't get it. But if I was willing to spend $$ on it, I could go a head and get it. Well, I wanted a SC, BAD, so I got it. $4500 later, I'm glad I did get a SC, but I wish that I had found a better one to buy. This car has forced me to learn about it because most of that $$ spent was on parts alone with me providing the labor. I'm not going to say, "No," or, "Yes" but I do want you to know what you might be getting into. Honestly that car sounds more like a parts car than a car to get. But then again, I'm in the market for one. LOL! ANd to top it off, I'm suspecting that I need some tranny work (read "I need my tranny rebuilt.") I'm still leaking oil from my front seal. I have a crank sensor to put on and I need new engine mounts. And that doesn't even touch the ORIGINAL suspension components that are still on the car. I'm looking at another $3000 or so (due to my demanding the very best 'replacements') to keep it running and in good condition. And I still need a rust free body (I'd really like to find a '93 body from somewhere in the South to Southwest). All in all, unless you are prepared to spend upwards of say $6000 to bring it back up to good operating condition, I'd pass on it. I'd double pass on it if you expect it to be your daily driver. Do some shopping around and be patient. I bought mine, then 3 weeks later I saw a '95 5-speed for about $500 more than I spent on my '89!

Dont touch it

It sounds like this car has been abused! The lack of oil is enough to make me walk away.

you saw a '95 5-speed? :eek: !!! man.. wish i knew where that was... anyway.. i came across an LX on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421130600&category=6240&rd=1
i really wanted it... but wasnt willing to pay much so i threw up a wild bid of $1,225 and came out the high bidder, but reserve was not met. I have a second chance to get it now with an offer of $1,495. I talked to the dealer in Maryland over the phone and since it is out of state, no tax, but will be $45 for the car and $115 for a 60 day tag, but i think i might be able to get a tag from a friend of mine. this sounds like a good deal, i just need to get the car from Maryland to Texas... but i will have to make a decision by this evening...

btw.. the '93 SC had about 116,000 miles on it.. i never even went back there. i also flushed out my tranny and changed the filter (i removed the intake silencer while i was working on it) and i still have the same problems with it, so it will have to be rebuilt or sold which is why i want this '94 LX. Thanks for the advice from everyone.. i appreciate the opinions on this.

Since your looking out of state have you tried the forum on cars for sale? Especialy the older listings or ones that no one responds to. Ask if it is still available and negotiate a good price. Some folks are just tired of the SC. That LX looks pretty good. But, Gosh you have a good looker SC.

Last edited:
I just bought that blue '94 LX... i got a deal on it for $1,275. I will be arranging shipping on it soon for $725, so hopefully it will be here soon.

Avibank-SPS - i did look on the cars for sale forum lately.. couldnt really find much of anything nearby, especially not a deal like this one. But i really cant find an SC in texas, i've only been able to find that busted up '93. Thanks for the compliments.. will you be in houston for the July 19-20 weekend?? hope to see you there.

Congrads on the LX.

Well we hope to be in Houston. I broke down and got the AOD in the 89 rebuilt. My sons 91 is now smoged and legal. I would love to bring the 95-5 but she is going to get an overhaul soon. It will be the end of the summer before I have a "more performance type car" I would be a little more proud of. So just hope luck works out for us to be there, even if with less of a car than I want. It will be good to meet some SC'rs. Yea I will have to get a 97 hood and lights some day.

Back