Air Conditioner recharge

layinthesmack31

hey guys
right now my air isnt working and it hasnt since i bought it. i was wondering if i buy one of those recharge kits do u think that would work? right now there is no pressure in the system. i was also wondering how u hook it up to re charge it. i dont know where it needs to be hooked in. i have seen the directions that come with it but they seem kinda confusing. please offer any help u can. thanks
Matt

I've got the same problem with my air as well. A year ago I spent $$ charging it (R12) and 2 weeks later it lost its charge...completely. Basically I need to replace all the seals. If you are upgrading to the R-134A, there are a few things to know if you want to do it the right way. First off, you will need a new dryer for your system. Any time you "open" the system, you should replace the dryer. And, of course, the above mentioned seals ('O' rings). You should also look into a remanufactured compressor. A lot of people may disagree with me on this, but to do it right, you should replace it. The reason is the R-134A runs at a higher compression than the old R-12. That higher compression can burn out your old compressor. I've heard of people who have upgraded and their compressor is still running fine, but I'm going to want cold every time I turn on the AC. If you have the $$, also go for the shorter condenser. It is a 3-core design and allows airflow directly to your intercooler. If I remember correctly they are around the $140 range. George Davenport (gldiii) had some info on them a few months ago. You can do a search for that. Assuming that your evaporator is ok, that is all you will need to get it going again. LOL! Personally, I am planning on putting all new items in to my AC system so I know that I'll have trouble free operation for several years to come. Which also explains why I haven't done it yet. It'll cost somewhere around $1k I'm estimating. But that is for everything new.

After thought...You won't need to put as much R-134A in the system as the old R-12. The new stuff operates much better with less in there. I'm not too sure how much less though. I've heard 80% of the R-12 volume, but am not too sure about those #'s. Check with an AC tech to be sure.

At the very least you'll need a new dryer, and to reseal your system. I'm not sure what that will cost, but I do know that it won't be near the $$ I'm planning on spending. Just keep in mind that you may have some pricey repairs in the future. I'm kicking myself right now for my demanding it be done right. So instead of some AC, I've got none in (the past week) 90*+ temps! And yes, my SC is my daily driver! It hasn't been too comfortable! You now have the way to do it that may cost you more, but will be less work in the long run. I'm sure that you will get the cheaper and easier fixes as well. I just think you should be informed of all the options before you decide how you're going to get it fixed. Hope this helped.

all i want to try for now is adding the r134. there is a kit i plan on buying and i just wanted to know how i hook that up to see if the system will take it and if it doesnt i am in no worse place then i was in before. but i dont know where to hook it into. please help with anything that u know.
Matt

2 valves are on the AC lines under hood. The one closer to the firewall sort of hard to find. Don't use the one close to the front of the car that is in the open to rechage. Need a kit to get it to cool corect if you put in R134. Now that is in this high heat in TX. Maybe where you live it will be OK. If your not pulling a vacume at least put some in and exhaust it then fill it till the compressor stays on, but I prefer a vacume after a new dryer to do it right. You need a friend who can buy the R12 for you to get it real cold.

PS: If you get an R134 hose kit I don't think it will fit. I use my R12 hose kit which is legal to buy, but some parts houses don't carry them. The fitting to rechage on your car is like an air valve on you tire. It is on the line back next to engine.

Last edited:
layinthesmack31 said:
all i want to try for now is adding the r134. there is a kit i plan on buying and i just wanted to know how i hook that up to see if the system will take it and if it doesnt i am in no worse place then i was in before. but i dont know where to hook it into. please help with anything that u know.
Matt
I wouldn't recommend the kit if your compressor is still good. The problem is that the kit has no way to dry your system out. If you don't find/fix the leaks, pull a vaccuum, oil the system properly, then recharge, the kit will just add oil+r134a to a wet system which will eventually kill the compressor. They are notorious for getting you a year's worth of cooling then the compressor goes and you end up with a big repair bill. The better way is to have the system leak tested, fix it, flush it, oil it, install a new accumulator, pull a vaccuum, then have it charged. Most of the time, new Orings will fix the leaks. If you have any holes in the evaporator, condenser, or compressor shaft seal, then those parts will have to be replaced. They make a UV test kit which helps find leaks.
As far as where to hook it into, you need a new fitting for r134a and you need to jumper the pressure switch on top of the accumulator to get the compressor to pull the oil+r134a in.
Here's where it is:
The blue cap is the r134a fitting on the suction port. The black cap with the silver ring at the upper left is the pressure switch.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Amen. You get the black death if you don't do it right. I don't convert but use R12. In either case getting it dry if opened to fix leaks is most important.

Back