Re-attaching window glass to arms.

syphon

Hey everyone, I'm having serious problems with my drivers side window.

See, the glass keeps coming loose from the metal arm that clamps on to it.

There must be too much pressure holding the glass when the arms "pull" the window down.

Here's a pic of my problem.

window.jpg

As you can see, the glass is separated. I've tried putting in some thick double sided tape, but eventually the glass pops free again.

Does anyone have any better solutions for this?

there is a replacement from ford for those plastic holders, in 96 and 97 ford finally got smart and made them out of aluminum so the expand and contract less with diff temp climates then plastic does, thus keeping the glass glued to it.. I used GOOP in my holders and left the window up for 48 hrs before letting it down..

Also go to a Autozone or Pep boys and pick up a can of Lube for rubber, it comes in a can... what happens over time on our cars is the felt moldings along the sides of our windows and along the bottom dry up, creating a tight fit for the window which drags the window going up and down.

GOOP? Is that a brand name or some specific product I should look for?

I never knew the rubber lubricant existed, thanks for the help!

GOOP is a name brand, up here in canada it is, not sure down there in the states.. but they make Automotive GOOP, shoe GOOP, plumbing GOOP, for the most part they are all the same IMO.. its just a very strong adhesive once dried

There was a Ford TSB on the glass detaching from the plastic clips. They used 3M Structural Adhesive to glue the glass to the clips. I have done 2 of my MN12's, 3 or more years ago and they have both stuck.

Remove the glass and clips. Clean Both REAL good. Mix the epoxy and glue the clips on the glass (at the right locations). Reinstall the window. Roll it up for at least 24 hours.

I use an 2 part epoxy when this happens.
Sand the inside of the clips, as well as the glass surface where the epoxy will grip.
Also, take a look at the tracks that the windows slide up and down in. You will probably find that the lower 8" or so are corroded. (First the track towards the rear of the car goes, then the front track will eventually rust also.)
When they rust like that, they swell up and apply more pressure to the glass as it tries to slide up and down. New ones are not very expensive, and easy to replace. (The top part of the track just clips into place and is held into place by one bolt at the bottom.

So I at least found the cause of my problem.

When I got my car painted (uber-cheap paint job at maaco) they painted the rubber seal thing... which stiffened it up real good.

I just need to lube that up a bit, then re-connect the two parts.

glass

I went to a local auto glass installer and bought replacements with a bolt that tightens to hold them to the glass .I also glued mine to be double sure. Hope this helps.

Back