Differential Fluid Question

duanemyhre

What is the stuff Ford put in my 1990 8.8? Is it synthetic oil?
I have received conflicting Information.
What high quality fluid is recommended for it?

I want to change my fluid soon

Thanks.

3.5 pints of Ford Hypoid Gear Lubricant Part # E0AZ-19580-AA (ESP-M2C154-A) and 4 oz of Friction Modifier Part No. C8AZ-19B546-A (EST-M2C118-A). To my knowledge the gear oil is not sythhetic but I am not sure about the friction modifier.

The friction Modifier is also not synthetic. I used synthetic Mobil 1 fluid in mine, and was concerned about the friction modifier not also being syn. Haven't had any probs though.

Thomas

The friction modifier supposedly doesn't mix well with synthetic. Redline synthetic 75w90 gear oil already has the friction modifier, so you don't need to add any. That's what I'm using and it's worked well so far.

Just a point of information. When I got the Eaton Prototype carrier unit for my car I asked what should be used for the gear oil. The Eaton contact I had specifically said NOT to use a synthetic since in their experience they got more clutch chatter with a synthetic than they did with plain old SAE 90 weight. I am not saying that all clutches will act the same way but the Eaton clutches are a carbon metallic material if you were wondering.

THANKS!

I think I might check out that Redline Product. I would like to go with a synthetic product. I was a helicopter light engineer in the military for 6 years and I stand behind synthetic products.

Thanks for all your help!
:D

Back