EGR problems...

thumper

So recently I removed my supercharger, plenums and intercooler tubes just for the fun of it, that and to make sure my valve covers weren't leaking. What can I say, my girlfriend was out of town and I was BORED! But it turned out not to be so much fun... anyway, when I was putting it all back together, I didn't put a new EGR gasket in place; I just reused the old gasket. I know... DUMB! But I was in a hurry (my girlfriend was due to be back in town)... not to mention I'm a moron. So now I have an exhaust leak type of sound coming from the top of my motor, especially when underway. Of course the EGR gasket is the culprit for the noise. But since I put my car back together, I also noticed the idle was screwy. When I start the car, it will rev up to 1500 for a few seconds, then go down to about 1000, where I presume it is supposed to be. After a few minutes of rough-but-not-too-rough (in fact, hardly-noticable-rough) idling, the motor will "bog" down and try to die.. after a second or two of sputtering, it will rev back to normal idle, but this time it idles noticable rough. Sometimes, though, it doesn't rev back up but just "lopes" and sounds crappy... My check engine light comes on, then goes off intermittently. It did this prior to the project though. So anyway, I was wondering if this crappy idling business might be due to the EGR leak. Probably not, but just wondering!

If the EGR is not responsible, does anyone know what else it might be!??! Thanks a ton...

Yes...the leak could be the cause of part of your problem since you basically have a vac. leak at idle. Did you mess with the TB settings at all? I would read for codes to determine why you are getting the Check Engine light. Was the EGR valve clean (no packed up carbon)? Are you sure you did not crack the downtube that goes between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve?

I did not mess with the throttle body settings... at least not on purpose. Is it possible that I may have accidently knocked something out of whack? I didn't look inside the valve itself... perhaps I should. I don't think I cracked the tube, but I might have. Do you check it from the top of the car or from underneath it?

I need to check it for codes, but I do not have scanner...

Thanks a ton!

Get a gasket...

And throw it back together...I would guess that the CE light could be due to the EGR vlv leaking and not holding enough gas pressure for the sensor. Regardless I think you were on the right track fixing your problem. If ya wanna check for leaks first then by all means do so from the top of the eng. compartment to the pipe connection at the passngr exh. manifold.

Your idle on the other hand, I suppose could be affected by the EGR leak, although I have never heard of that exact scenario. I would ask what you used to seal the Blower top and IC tube to prevent leaks...If these are leaking at all you are gonna have idle issues...If they ARE leaking then get the Copper RTV and seal them up for now "Alotta Guys Use This Stuff With Success". Then you can ask TBird88 to hook you up with some of the teflon gaskets that are re-usable for future projects you may have.

Cheers then,

Brad

EGR

My car does the same thing but i cant hear anything leaking.I also get alot of carbon out of the exhaust have you noticed this?My car has been idle now for about 2 months because I dont want to send it to the ford dealership so they can charge me an arm and a leg.Let me know because if this is the culprit I will fix it

Back