What do I do?????

RandenSC

Ok I bought this car(89 sc) off my buddy and he said he would help me but he's not. I got the motor out and pretty much stripped down, got everything off except the water pump and front cover. I want to keep them together if possible. How do I go about taking these off. Do I just pull the front cover or do I need to put it in time or something. I am reusing it, so I am just going to slap it on the other block I have. Please help!!!! Dont get me wrong I love this car but I would love it even more if I could get it to run.

I'm not sure you can remove the pump and cover as a single unit. When I pulled the cover to fix a broken balancer, I seem to remember that I had to pull the water pump, then pull the front cover. (Maybe you can pull them together, but it would probably be a good idea to replace the pump gasket anyway.) as far as the timing issue, I was careful not to change the position of the timing chain sprocket, or the gear on the cam sensor shaft (on the front cover) so that I could replace the cover without having to "synchronize" the timing. Now, if you are swapping it to a different block, you may need to set both crankshafts to the same position (TDC) before removing the cover.
Maybe someone can confirm whether or not this is necessary.....

Whats wrong!

Well see the old block was off a xr7 sc but the heads and everything esle was off the tbird sc. The xr7 block just didnt run right and had something wrong internally. what i am trying to do is take everything off the old block (heads are at the machine shop) pump, front cover, oil pan and all that stuff. the new block is just a short block with cam and internal stuff, but it does have the timing chain on it. I am trying to take the water pump off and front cover off the old block, and put it on the new block. But i am worried about the timing issue. not sure what to do.

Hey

I am not expert here...

But guess what.. you are going to have to be knowledgeable about how to get the timing of that engine set, before you put the timing gears an chain on..

as long as you have it apart.. might wanna think about replacing with new....... :)

someone may correct.. if they do... oh well...

Back