Battery

stocker 89

Battery and EXHAUST

HEY SUPER CHARGED GUYS,

It is time to buy a new battery. How many cranking amps does my 3.8 superchaged stock motor need? I have checked out a few speed shops around here and this has led to confusion. This is what I have been told so far I need for my 89 super coupe.

NAPA 1000 cranking amps 75 month warranty $ 61.00

AUTOZONE autolite 600 cranking amps 72 month war $ 54.00

INTERSTATE 475 cranking amps 72 month war $ 78.00

EXIDE 600 cranking amps 72 month war $ 70.00

What do you guys have to say? What do you recommend?

Thanks for your input. DAN

Last edited:
Have you

considered and Optima or an Odessy. The Odessy is kind of expensive but they're supposed to last more the 10 years.

Val

I just recently replaced mine for the second time (I'm only on my third battery since new) and opted for the stock Motorcraft for that beautiful stock look under the hood. I got it from Ford for about $80. Previously, I had an Interstate which was fine also.

Jon

THANKS again GUYS,

I decided to go with a NAPA legend 75 this time. $65.05 total 18 month free replacment. Figure I can use the extra power for my two sub woofers, 6x9s, and super tweeters. 650 cranking amps is what I thought. But the counter guys kept insisting it was less. glad i got it straightend out.

NEXT QUESTION ??????? EXHAUST!

I just got done taking the innerds out of my cats . First off let me tell you I know nothing about exhaust. I was told the best place two cut is two inches back from front so we did after we took off the heat shields. First question . One of the cats had two of those honeycomb ceramic things in them and the other one had nothing in it at all. IS THIS NORMAL or did the factory mess me over? what is up I wish I would have know nothing was in the other before we hacked into them. seems like to me there should have been one honeycomb in each. but I don't know fer sure this is the first time i have played around with exhaust.

After I knocked the ceramic combs out of the other one they were welded back together. They look really good . My welder really put on a good bead and measured everything to make sure it would line up right . $ 20.00 for each side I am really pleased with his work. NOW what? My engine is stock. Should I be worried about back pressure? Should I put an X or H pipe in. Should I put in a bigger resonator on? What would happen if I put it on with the stock resonator? Any additional INFO would be great. DAN

Last edited:
Get rid of

Dan,

Get rid of the stock resonator, this is the most restrictive place, after the 3rd cat to resonator. If you wanna be cheap just place some pipe in its place, or get a resonator that will fit the stock piping.

Back pressure-you can tell if you lost back pressure by your boost lowering, your presssure still may be high.

The honeycomb stuff is the catalyst in the cat, seems like your one side was shot, since you removed it no biggie. Hope you don't have emissions?

I don't think I would want to go with just strait pipes. What kinds of resonators will hook up to stock pipping (it wouldn't be a problem to modify tips a little). I want to drive my car all the time I want it to sound like a V8 a low rumble or growl. I want to hear it when I press the foot feed.

What do you think is up with my old exhast. Was this the way it was supposed to be 2 combs in one none in the other. In the one that was empty could the ceramic combs have broke up and blown out. On the side that had two, the one with the EGR . It was doubled up. IS this the reason my head gasket went on the 3 cylinder causing a spun out bearing and a bent rod .

Back