My Swaintech coated head pics LONG UPLOAD!!

XxSlowpokexX

Thermal barrier coating in combustion chamber. Can also see thermal coating in exhuast port as well as high flow coating in intake port
chamber.jpg

Thermal barrier coating bottom of lower intake
manifold1.jpg

Next two pics are of High flow coating inside lower manifold
manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

Intake valve has flow coating exhaust valve has thermal barrier coating
valves.jpg

Intake port of heads flow coated
intake.jpg

Exhaust ports Thermal Barrier coating
exhaust1.jpg

Well if all this crap does what it should do according to the powers that be..Incombination with my almost .6oo lift cam full lenghts(also coated by Swaintech) and all my wonderful ESM peices, a tranny that works, a nice nice nice shortblock...and some other goodies...I should finally break out of the 15's

Good move on the coatings, hope they work out for ya. On a side note, you might wanna look into using IrfanView to downsize your pics. Here's your top pic resized from a 900kb bitmap to only 30kb jpeg.

hope this helps,

'bird

Attachments

• jpeg.jpg
    jpeg.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 339
Why'd you coat the insides of the combustion chamber? I've never heard of anyone doing this. I can assume it is for heat issues (duh), but what is the ultimate purpose?

Keeps the heat in the chamber, improving combustion and reducing heat movement into the block which gains possible HP. Though he'll have to watch for issues with high NOX values if he has to be tested. That coating should measurably increase combustion chamber temps.

Primarily, Damon went this route after much research by us into the coatings Swain offers. Aside from a dyno proven 10 HP increase which has been seen in Swain coated engines, the coating in the chamber will help against detonation, hot spots and impove exhaust gas velocity. Additionally, heat and energy go hand in hand in the internal combustion engine. A properly tuned motor will undoubtedly yield an emissions legal vehicle capable of handling higher boost levels safely. Remember, emmissions testing is performed when in vacuum, not boost so cylinder temps should remain quite reasonable.

I completely support the coatings Swain offers and will provide a 4% discount off regular Swain retail pricing to all SC owners who wish to obtain any of Swain's coating services.

Paul

Wow. I've never heard of this process before. I assume Swaintech has a web page? 10 HP dyno proven? Nice.

A copy of the article showing their HP increase can be found on their site (if I recall, it was performed by a magazine). Chances are our cars will see even more of an improvement considering how badly we are affected by heat as the comparison test was performed on n/a cars.

<center></center>

Paul

Last edited:
Heat is only one factor of many that lead to detonation. Assuming the engine is tuned properly (which I'm sure it will be), the extra heat should be able to be used to improve combustion while avoiding detonation, thus producing more power.

I will not speak for Swain, but I will speak of my experience. I first used Swain coatings about 10 years ago in my 9 second street legal 350 small block chevy camaro which I might add is normally aspirated and stock stroke and 3400lbs. It still runs the very same coatings applied 10 years and 54k miles ago after the years of abuse, 13.5:1 compression and 9000+ RPM shifts. Considering I have yet to meet ANYONE who drives their car as hard as I do, I feel the condition of the motor to date says a lot about Swain.
I am so confident in their coatings that I used it in my current engine which I just installed in my 93 SC. Thats a hell of a lot more than I can say for the coating Eaton used on its late style blowers. I cant say I have ever seen one of those in any mileage form without some of the coating missing (even Chris Mendola's S-model when it had only a few thousand miles on it). Considering the thickness of the blower coating vs the few thousanths the Swain coatings are and the fact that no one with a late blower has reported an engine failure related to chipped or flaked coatings to my knowledge, I am very comfortable with use and endorsement of their product.

Paul

I would like to add a small yet important (in my opinion at least) statement from Swain's website:

All of us in the aftermarket business hear on Monday mornings when our stuff works, and we really hear when somebody thinks it fails. We've been around for a long time, and we just couldn't keep doing this if those Monday morning calls were mostly angry ones.
Professionally applied coatings don't cost as much as you might think. In fact, coated parts represent a modest insurance investment. Our company has never raised its price for piston coatings. This means that piston prices have been the same for sixteen years. We haven't even had to adjust for inflation because volume has increased dramatically. As a result, coated pistons actually cost less today than when we first opened in 1981.
Each company publishes a price list. Terms and shipment policies vary by company as well. When shopping for coatings, as with other racing investments, it's smart to not shop on price alone. Coatings are not commodity items. Each company's formulation and application method is different, so be sure the coating will perform as you want it to. Check out the company's reputation in th marketplace. In short, shop for value, not just price.

I think the preceeding statement says alot about the character of this company as they simply laid it out on the table for everyone to judge for themselves.

Paul

Last edited:
I have been using the coatings myself(I apply them myself) for 12 years or so and have never had any problems. They really do what they say, or I would'nt use them.
You will see a difference, especialy in a forced induction motor.

Looks like some vary good stuff and something I will look in to on my build for 500RWHP in the next year or so. I would like to see some dyno numbers with this stuff on SC motors.

Dyno readings on this are pretty useless. While they do help you make more HP the main benefit is the protection it gives your engine. These coatings are thermal barriers They help to insulate the parts they cover preventing the parts from absorbing alot of the heat. The extra HP you get is from the added tuning you can do because heat build up has been cut down.

I saw MIKE38SC and was getting ready to send him a PM....then I saw it was three years ago and I have already seen this thread like three times...Now I am sad:(

Chris

94 Red SC Auto (Most Powerful under any SC rules!!)
94 Teal SC Stick (Twin Turboes anyone?)

Damon,

I want to hear more about these cars. What's the story with the red 94 ? (Combo and power adders).

Are you really doing twin turbos on the teal car ?

David

Back