Supercharger pulleys

hytorksc

I've been pondering over this for a long time... whether or not to use a 5%, a 10%, or the stock pulley on my SC. I have been running a 5% for over a year now and have gotten very familiar with the slightly increased power down low. Over time i've noticed that it doesn't add much if any power at top end.

I took off the 5% and put the stock one back on, made a few tweaks and adjustments to try and compensate for losing a little low end, took it out for a test drive, and i was quite surprised that i couldn't tell the difference except on the upper midrange/top end (more urgency to rev). stock pulley has less tendency to generate wheelspin (only slightly less), and the mids seem a hair less responsive, but not major loss. The upper mid to top end power seemed to increase- less drag, more urgency to rev higher. Maybe overall the car is really not any faster than before, but suddenly i now have much more passing power at high speeds. I mean when i get past 80 mph the car rock and rolls now. it's taking less hp to turn the supercharger, and the engine seems to respond better at higher speeds.

I still have the stock exhaust (a bit modded though), but there may be some merit in getting more power by lessening the load on the engine without adding an overdrive pulley.
Say if you port heads, maybe increase the compression ratio slightly, port the supercharger, and add all the bolt ons except the sc overdrive pulleys, add torque converter, and gears... maybe this car won't be so much of a dog on the top end. i mean the converter and gears will take care of the low end power since most of the torque will be focussed on higher rpms. quarter mile times may be comparable to other sc'ers running a full compliment of mods with the 5 or 10% pulley, and boost would stay low (11 to 13psi range).

has anyone tried this approach with the SC?

Back