ARP Head Studs

lowflying90

to those using them............

what's the deal with the arp studs? do some of them have to be modified or something for clearance? how hard are they to install vs regular head bolts.

do i need locktite or any sealers with them?

Thanks,
Jeff

Head studs don't need to be modified. They are real simple to install. You will need loctite when you twist them in the first time and you will have to torque them down to ARP specs.

You might want to search on "arp and studs" for information.

The original studs for the SC application (ARP 153-4001) had the short bolts too long and they interfered with the header or exhaust manifold. Aaron might be saying this has been corrected, but I do not know that for certain. They were too long when I used them!

I believe Rob Noth was the first to report that there is a kit for a V6 Chevy that has the correct size studs and is cheaper that the SC application.

Check out this thread for more details:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18925

Instructions may come with the kit, but I believe ARP wants you to use a specific moly lube to get the correct torque numbers. You might also want to search around about the best head gaskets to use and how the heads and block should best be finished for them to seal properly.

ARP includes the moly lube. The shorter (Chevy) bolts work but it's pretty close. Barely one thread above the nut. However I can now see how a longer bolt could interfere with the exhaust.

Back