A/C Compressors

NRTrackStar

Does anyone know what other Fords use the same A/C compressors as the Super Coupe? The one in my 94 went bad, and I really don't want to spend $425 on a new one. But I kinda wanted something a little newer than a used one off of an SC. What's the life expectancy on these things, anyway? And are they the same for all years? Thanks!

Although I'd always recommend a NEW compressor due to the crappy track record of rebuilt ones sold at the automotove chain stores, here's a site which has rebuilt compressors, but they understand that rebuild doesn't mean just clean and paint.
http://www.ackits.com/
You probably want an FS10 or an FX15 compressor.

As far as how long they live... If you monitor the A/C system for leaks and fix any that you find before they have time to allow corrosion to take hold of the seals, the compressor should live for the life of the car. Some original owners still have the original compressor with a working A/C... mine bit the dust after about 80,000 miles. Leaks cause a loss of freon+oil.. air gets in and eats away at thin aluminum such as the evaporator and the leak gets worse. Eventually, the compressor locks up due to oil starvation. The oil gets out where the leaks are. Topping off the freon or r134a is not routine maintenance. If it ever looses any cooling ability due to a loss of refrigerant, its through a leak and an unfixed leak will eventually kill the compressor. Fix an/all leaks, replace the lost oil, have the system pressure tested.. then recharged.

Yeah, I see what you're saying about low pressure in the system causing the compressor to fail. Oddly enough, my 94 only has 38000 miles and the system was fully charged. The compressor just crapped out. And I'm a little pissed...when it started acting weird, it kept clicking on and off. It would engage for a couple of seconds, then shut off, causing the rpm's to increase by a couple hundred when it would engage. Sometimes it would blow cold air, then cometimes it would just stop. I've heard there's a low pressure safety cut-off type of deal that shuts off the compressor to protect it, but I was told that my system was fully pressurized, and didn't have a leak. Now, I was wondering if it could be some sort of a clutch problem. I dunno-I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about-I just don't want to be getting hosed here...thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it!

You need the FX-15, they are hard to find and more expensive as well. However they were available on some Areostars. Thats the only Fords stateside that they came on. The compressor is originaly from Ford europe.

Back