grinding reverse

Ronald Wendt

Sometimes when I go to put the car in reverse gear it grinds pretty good. pushing the clutch back in does not help right away, it just seems to spin a little slower until it will pop in gear. It seems to happen more often when I think I have it in positon and start to work the gas peddle.

The tranny is rebuilt with a new 5th and reverse synchro assy among a bunch of other things. What I am concerned with is maybe the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Should I be concerned?

Ron

I hope you put a new clutch in while the tranny was out
any way I ussually have to tap 1st and then shift into reverse
I think this is pretty mush the norm.-to aviod a crunch
g/l

Yea, I'm pretty sure this is the norm . I've had my tranny rebuilt and it still grinds sometimes . I just go from 3rd to reverse and all is good .

Reverse Syncro

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think reverse doesn't have a syncro. At least I swore I read that on here about 2 years ago before the site was all redone and I had to pick a new nickname. The first tranny I had in the 89 did it all the time. I then purchased a rebuilt one (used with 10,000K) that never did it. I recently bought a 90 that doesn't do it either. When I go to put it in reverse in the 90, it hesitates a second then smoothly goes right in....never ever grinds. If you don't come to a complete stop, I know that will make it grind.

Joe

try putting it in 5th gear before you put it in reverse. My 89 used to grind, but it never did if I did the 5th gear trick.

Also if you find it hard to get first after sitting at a red light, put it in 3rd real quick, then 1st will go in like butter.

JH

If the clutch was hanging up, it should happen in all gears. i believe 5th and Reverse share the syncro. So I'd be curious if you have issues with throwing it into 5th at a stand still as well.

In my tired 89 (143,000 miles) reverse will grind every once in a while if I'm in too big of a hurry. Never struggle with 5th. 1st is a struggle at times as well. With 1st I can double clutch it and get it to go in. with 5th, I do that and it will still grind a touch. Not severe, but noticable.

I guess I'd be concerned with a newly rebuilt transmission and having it struggle to get into gear.

Back