Depressurize fuel lines? Quick response needed.

91BLOWNSC

Im about to put in a new fuel filter, do i need to depressurize or run the gas out of the lines first? I heard some cars need it and some don't. Or can I just take the filter out?

just wear some goggles so that you don't get gas in your eye.

You really don't have to depressurize the line, it doesn't have much pressure in it anyway.

Just remove the fuel filter, and put a new one in.

JH

hmm..

I just replaced the filter. I didn't know I would have to need special fuel remover tools. Those small white clips that slide up inside the housing where the filters connected (closet to the engine)

i just did my fuel filter and all i did was just pop the clips off and then the filter came with 2 new ones that you put on so that the point on the top is away from the filter.

When I changed my filter, I depressurized the line. This took a while and in my opinion, if I were to do it over, I'd just wear some goggles. BTW if you do want to depressurize it, you have to unplug the wire that runs the fuel shut off switch on the drivers side of your trunk. In the books they dont tell you that you pretty much have to take the switch clear out to unplug the wire.

Don't try to rig the clips on the fuel filter.

You need a ford a/c fuel line disconnect tool.

Just slide the tool on, and pop the filter out.

People who mess around with screwdrivers and such are asking for a leaky fuel line.

Any auto parts store has a cheap plastic fuel tool for like 4-5 bucks.

It works fine, just throw it in your toolbox for the next time or your next ford.

JH

Depressurize Fuel Lines w/ inertia relay

Don't splash fuel all over, just pop the trunk, and on the driver's side behind the side panel is the inertia switch/relay for the fuel system. Unplug it and run the car for about 3 seconds and it will run out of gas, thus depressurizing the fuel line. This relay is in case of accident so that fuel will not continue pouring all over the burning car (like on CHiP's).

Oh, 1 more thing. When you are done with the fuel filter and you go to start the SC up...and it won't start.....Make sure to plug the switch back into the relay. Took me a half hour to figure out I forgot to plug it back in.

Hope this helps..

JustinH said:
Don't try to rig the clips on the fuel filter.

You need a ford a/c fuel line disconnect tool.

Just slide the tool on, and pop the filter out.
My filter doesn't have this setup, but my understanding is its a spring-lock fitting just like on the A/C lines. That being the case, if you have the A/C disconnect tools, you can use them on it also. You can get a set of about 6 different sizes at any auto parts store for around $10.

Back