Which speed fan comes on with A/C on 89SC?

phils89sc

Is it the high speed or low-speed fan that comes on when you turn on the air conditioning? My fan comes on when I switch the a/c on, but I don't think the low-speed fan is coming on during normal operation. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Phil

Go behind the airbox and find the mass of wires, it's a black box, pull off the cover and find the # 14 wire this is your low speed fan. Check it for power when the engine is abovenormal operating temp...Bill

The low speed is with A/C on. It should also come on normally when engine coolant temp reaches 220F.
The high at 228F.

If the fan is activating with your A/C, but not when the car is running, I believe your ECT sensor could be at fault.

Check for power with a Multimeter at the prongs on the male plug coming out of the IRCM. If I remember correctly, the bottom is low speed, and the left prong is high. To be certain, I stated this in a recent thread by me about my cooling fan.

Parts I have replaced..

So far, I have replaced the ECT, IRCM, and just recently replaced the cooling fan itself. Because I am still going by the factory gauge, it used to run normal temp at almost in the exact middle of the gauge (between O and R). Now, when I am creeping along in traffic, or idling for awhile, the needle goes all the way to a little past the "M" before the fan will kick on. If I cut on the A/C, this does engage the fan and will bring it quickly down to between "O" and "R", however, I do not want to run the A/C all the time. So, if I cut the A/C on and the low-speed fan comes on, that means that the Low-speed fan is working. And, if the fan comes on like it is now, all the way just past the "M", that means the high speed fan is workingm right? So for some reason, the fan is not getting the signal to cut on low speed when it reaches the designated temp range for low-speed activation. I guess that means my new ECT is probably a piece of $h!t and I need to replace it yet again. I just replaced the radiator so I know that is not the problem.

Would I get a EEC code if the ECT had a problem? I just checked them a few days ago and was getting no codes for ECT.

Thanks for the help all.

Phil

Where the fans turn on in relation to the gauge means almost nothing. If a fan kicks in past the M in Norm, it's probably the low speed one kicking on, not high speed. That is unless you can tell by the sound that it is for sure the high speed fan.

Back