how to take out pilot bearing?

jambird

can anybody tell me how to take out the pilot bearing. i've used a sliding hammer (bearing puller) and it won't budge at all. i'm hoping that i don't have to take off the flywheel because i don't want to have to re-position it again. could anyone give me a few hints or tips it would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Jamie

They are very tight.

Put dry ice on the bearing and then hit it with the hammer. Worked for me.

pack the hole with heavy grease and slide a piece of doweling that just barely fits into the hole, and give it a good few wacks with a hammer.
the grease compresses deep in and forces the bearing out.

That trick doesn't work on these. Grease will always make its way past the roller bearings and come out. That sucker is in there super tight, not like a bushing on the older units. I've tried it. If it worked for you on an SC I am very surprised.

worked for me

I just did this about 2 months ago when I changed my clutch in my coupe.

The grease trick worked for me. I packed it full of "blue" colored grease. Found a bolt that fit inside, it was a little loose so i wrapped it with black tape so it barely fit. Hit the bolt very hard. the bearing came half way out. refilled the hole wiht more grease. wacked it again and it popped the rest of the way out.

Jeff

Having done about 4-5 of these it seems you have to use the bearing puller to literally rip the indside guts out of the pilot first. Then when only the heavier outer piece remains the bearing puller jaws will grip it properly and it can be removed. The inner piece takes about 3-4 shots before it finally pulls out fromm the rest then you can remove the large piece much easier.

I agree with Les Borda, my brother tried to do his and mine just a few weeks ago with pushing something in the middle and he couldnt get it out then we went to autozone and rented the puller and did the same thing as Les Borda said..then came right out..

I rented a pilot bearing puller for six bucks at Schucks. Took 5 minutes and it was out. nice little tool.

Learn something new every day. Next time I will try that again. It didn't work for me last time. :)

Back