Brake Safety Switch

Jeremy_K

Brake Light Switch

Has anyone tried to jump the circuit on the brake safety switch? I'm talking about the one where you need to press the brake to start the car. I tried to jump it with a paper clip and it worked, the car started right up, but it wouldn't start again after that until i hooked the plug back where it's supposed to be. the reason i'm trying to bypass it is because the switch doesn't catch unless you wiggle the pedal back and forth and up and down a few times. this is playing hell on my ignition switch. i don't know what to do now. if anyone has successfully jumped this switch, please let me in on the secret! i would assume it needs a certain resistance. Thanks.

Last edited:
brake light switch

i replaced the brake light switch yesterday and it didn't seem to get any better. you have to wiggle the key forward and back to get the ignition to catch. i'll probably need a new ignition switch or cylinder. thanks for the help tbirdscfan.

The ignition switch was a recall item, so unless you know for sure that it was replaced, its quite possible that yours is bad.

Something else to try when this happens is to move the shift lever back and forth from park to neutral while holding the key and brake down. Could be the neutral switch, or the starter relay or the starter interrupt relay, or the starter itself, or corroded battery terminals. You might need to get the voltmeter out to track it down.

Hope this helps.

Back