power steering prob

liqdsilver

got a prob with power steering. when the car is not moving, i need 2 hands to turn the wheel. as soon as the car moves, the steering goes normal..and yes it is full. anyone have a clue?
:)

What's your idle speed running at? Is your speedometer working fine. Does your automatic suspension work properly.

The system that controls the variable steering assist uses inputs from the throttle position, steering rate sensor, and ABS sensors to determine proper boost levels to allow.

One thing I forgot in the PM I sent you, I think the EVO valve is a fail safe valve, thus if it is disconnected, it will fail open all the way allowing full assist, rather than failing closed, or partially closed. So you might try just disconnecting the harness off the valve at the P/S pump to see if you get high boost always. If so, then the Pump and lines are probably fine, and the problem is either in the valve or in the inputs to the control system.

I don't think it's that simple. It could then be either the Valve, or the pump, or a line.

I would start with a flush and refill of the P/S fluid with Type F ATF. This will flush out any possible foreign matter in the fluid.

Some other things that could be causing you problems is if you have bad ball joints or tie rod ends. If they are binding when turning, the force required to turn the wheels when stationary will be much higher, and possibly too high for the power steering system.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Gunk in the rack? I had the same problem, but it went away when I changed the pump and EVO sensor (reman from Ford).

kind of got the same thing going on with my 35th. Ride control is fine and it has new speed sensor. Mechanical components all in good condition. One shop I talked with said something about a sensor on the steering column? I can't find anything on this. Mithell repair manuals say something about the EVO, but I'm still not sure where to look. Is this the pressure sensor on the pump?

what shapes the fluid in?
if its milky brown id be that the water contaminating the fluids messin with the pump i had a similar problem flushed it and it fixed it but now the pumps whining really bad and i think im gonna need to replace it anyway

How do flush the power steering system? My fluid is almost black. I tried sucking as much as I could out with a turkey baster, can't get to the fluid in the lines that way....

if you dont have a machine your stuck with disconnecting a line and cranking the wheels so the fluid comes out the opening
take the return line off and let the fluid come out

I tried sucking as much as I could out with a turkey baster

HAHA, i have no idea why i find this statement so hilarious. I'm really not sure what to tell you on this one. Are you getting ANY power assist at a dead stop? and are you sure you are getting assist when you are moving and it isn't easier just because you are moving?(does that make sence?)

Just pull the belt off the pump and turn the pump by hand. With the line disconnected it's very easy to turn the pump pulley and it'll flush the fluid out. just keep the pump full.

Back