engine knock

smokymance

i have a 97 lx with the SOHC v8...i have threaded all around but noone will respost...thought u guys might help...when sometimes getting up high on the RMP band...i hear knocking from the engine...its usually when i do get on it , not just reving it up nice and slow...it sounds like its the cams or lifters, but im not sure...i wouldnt really be able to tell...what could be the problem..what really throws me off is that sometimes it does it and other times it doesnt....:(

Have you checked all the basics? Timing, gas quality for whatever compression your running? Where do you buy your fuel? EGR functioning correctly? Does it knock or ping? I'm not too familiar with the SOHC V8, how does it control the ignition advance? Vacuum or computer? Is the chip original or has it been modified? Does this knock always sound like it is coming from the top end or bottom end? If the lifters, what weight oil are you running? Does it have good oil pressure and does it fluctuate when you hear this noise? Does it do it when it is hot only? Are you sure it is an engine knock, I have heard exhaust leaks that sound like engine knocking. I have heard exhaust rattling dur to broke or improper hangers which rattle. I have also heard Catalytic Converters which had broken pieces inside them which rattled and at times, sounded like knocking/pinging. I have also heard engine's knock which suddenly exploded into little hot oily parts shortly after. Basically, hard to tell from here. Can't be too loud though, I can't hear it in Southern Ca.

If nothing else, get a better stereo and turn it up until you no longer hear any knocking/pinging/rattles/running engine :D

that is certanly a long list...someone told me to watch out for the fuel filter...i have to change that....the car is stock all the way exept a 9 inch air filter...could that be the problem...i put 87 on the car...but sometimes i do go for the 89...should i keep the 89 all the time?...i just hope its not anything else...it is from the top of the engine...and i dont think it is exhaust....thanks for the reply though...appreciate it

It is certainly best to use the higher octane gas all the time. Especially if the motor is pinging. But I don't know if this is a ping your hearing or not. Kinda sounds like it may be though. You should also check your pcvvalve and make sure it is working properly and not stuck open. However if it were, you would be hearing pinging most of the time, especially under loads.
Does your check engine light ever come on?

Also, I've heard cars with an automatic tranny that had cracked flex plates make noise like pinging.

Back