dead cyl #6 - Now what?

tbirdboy

Buddy next door was outside when he noticed my hood popped up. Saw my motor shaking and decided to help out. All ready burnt out from playing with it every weekend with a new problem he let me sit in the seat while he pulled some plug wires. #6 was pulled with no difference in RPM change. Plenty of spark at the coil. Switched wires with a known good wire and no change at all. Replaced plugs last month with new autolite PP's. I guess my next logical step would be the fuel injector. Is there any tip that would narrow down the diagnosis. Thanks.

89/5spd

Possible. Though it has had the shakes for a while now and well before the new plugs. I got detonation pretty bad at part throttle and I wondering if it's related to the dead cylinder. Hopefully I can put something together and solve this problem. I really need to get to a shop with a dyno, a savvy mech, and a ocilliscope. I WANT MY POWER!!!

I've got a used #6 cylinder for sale on the classifieds board... j/k The first step should be to pull that #6 plug and see if it's fouled, broken, or otherwise not working. Then you should do a compression test on all the cylinders and see if #6 is low.

It could also be an electrical problem with the wiring harness, the #6 fuel injector, or the coil pack. You might have a check engine light in this case, but not always.

Compression test sounds like a smart direction for me to start. Good thing its on that drivers side which makes it somewhat easier to get at.

Back