head Gasket Replacement

rmolinet

Im looking into buying head gaskets for my 35th Anniversary Edition SC. It has 130,000 miles on it. Here is what i,m about to do.
1: Sent the heads out for recondition or resurfaces.
2: New exhuast
3: Water Pump, timing change, maybe the balancer if needed
Of cause all new gaskets.

What I need to know is:
1:What brand of head gaskets do you suggent I uses.
2:What else should I do being the upper engine is apart

I truely grateful for any feedback

love my bird

Last edited:
I would go with ARP head studs instead of the bolts. I would also have some porting done since they are off, will make a dif in performance. Use either the 4.3 gasket or copper if you intend on doing a lot of mods. Maybe roller rockers? Open up the collectors on you exhaust manifolds, maybe even add a ceramic coating to them to reduce under hood temps. Port intake plenum to match TB if that was changed. All pretty inexpensive except for extensive headwork, but minor stuff should definately be done.

I am currently in the process of replacing my head gaskets also. While the heads are off, check the motor mounts! This is a very good time to replace them with solid rubber mounts. I am using the highly recommended FelPro upper gasket set. $129.00 from O'reilly autoparts. The solid motor mounts i got from CarQuest for $40 each. This is also a good time to port the factory exhaust manifolds. Good luck. I have spent about 15-20 hours working on it (including replacing the motor mounts) and currently have the heads and intake back on, the rest still to go. Also I was able to do all this work without disconnecting the a/c which saves about $100 bucks also. IF you need any tips let me know. Oh, another tip, leave the sc top connected to the IC tubes, only disconnect them at the IC radiator/cooler and the lower one at the intake and cooler.

Back