SC Rearend?

deadturbobird

I am a turbocoupe guy and i want to get a super coupe. (if ya got one for sale gime a yell) But i seen on for sale the other day and i got ahold of the people and test drove it. im affraid to say its been beat to hell. But my question is When i shifted there seemed to be a clunk in the rear end and it was kind of difficult and akward to shift. my turbo coupes all have been 5 speed do they shift the same? they said there is a new clutch in it so we know the kid has been burnin the tires off. they want 2500 for it and i bet i can talk them down a bit. but do you know what might be wrong wiht it and would it go out before say August? how much to fix it? I know it could possibly be a U joint and i could get that doen for cheap. but could it be the rearend? What should i do? go for it or look for better?::confused:

The shifting could be a concern. May need new synchros but if no grinding may just be a little getting used to. But the clunk may be something simple like the IRS pinion bushings next to the pumpkin that have worn down and causing metal to metal contact when it is torqued. Tranny could cost you some money but bushings are cheap and easy to fix.

I had been hearing that and it turned out to be the motor mounts (found this out after replacing trans mount, irs bushings and more. Course the motor mounts are not easy to replace.

It did grind once but i think that was me. and the clunk was deffinatly coming from the rear of the car the sound was and the feeling. it just felt realy weired to shift i dont know if it was the position or what. does it sound like the car would last me till august. And what is exactly cheap as fas as the bushings you were talking about?

For the punkin bushings just jack it way up, get under there and look on the snout of the rear. There is a set of double bushings on either side. I believ it is the left top that gets the pounding with a 5spd. Ours we bought that was driven hard had rubber coming off and when we pried on the rear end we could make it gap so metal was hitting metal. The other side was firm rubber and no gap when pried. One bushing and the clunk was gone. Also check the nut in the center of the rear wheel or hub. If it is loose throw away and get a new one a torque to some where around 250 ft lbs, as I recall. Never reuse this nut. Find cheap at Pep Boys. Tranny shifter can be rebuilt cheap, info in SCCoA somewhere, maybe search under Jacob as he got answers to that.

Back