tune up question for 89 SC

dkmst23

first what kind of wires and plugs are you using
and how much of a gap.

second I still have problems in running my SC over 5 psi. After car has warmed up it will jump around. I just replace the camshaft sensor.

third my car is developing a burp through the intake.

I'm using OEM plugs and wires. You can get the OEM plugs from supercoupeperformance.com ($6 per plug I think) and Magnecore makes some aftermarket wires that are better than the OEM ones, but expensive too (not that OEM aren't!)

I'm unclear on your second issue. Can you not get much more than 5 lbs of boost or does the car do funny things at over 5lbs of boost?

And explain the 3rd thing too. I don't know what you mean by a burp. I burp, my car doesn't. What is the engine doing? The more specific you are, the better we can all help you.

89 sc

second question the boost jumps all over the place when it goes over or sometimes approaches 5 PSI, my boost also goes to 12 psi when running cold.

third question the burp is like a mild backfire through the intake.

Does the car "buck" when the boost goes all over the places or is it just the guage acting up?

And by the burp, does that mean that you are getting a combustion type of noise from the car on the intake side?

The two may be related, but without more specific details, the best mechanic in the world won't be able to help you. Give details like you did with the temp. We know it happens when it is warm. But what is the cars response when this happens? Does the car loose power, buck, miss? All these symptoms are caused by different problems. Does the CE light come on, etc? If you have to go out and drive it until it gets warm just to see exactly what happens, do it. I have to at times to make sure I have the symptoms right. You can even write it down, if it helps. But you do have to be more specific.

I have a set of autolite double plat's on order. what gaps do you use.

It runs good at first then it bogg's down over 5 psi. then has it warm up It bucks over 5 psi the gauge goes all over the place and the car feels like it is going to break something. But somtimes at higher RPM's it will pass right through okay ( usually on the highway going from 50- 100 MPH

the burp happens about every five seconds but to hear it you have to listen to the air cleaner box while it is running. it is like a low bellow.

spark plug wires broke

I went to change the plugs and the one wire broke i barely pulled on the boot i think that might be one of the problems

where can i get magnecor wires at ????

You can get em at supercoupeperformance.com or if you have time...look around the message boards and online you may find em cheaper...I think one guy found them for like 60-70 dollars...way better than 100+ from supercoupeperformance

btw....My car would buck at higher speeds and I just got new plugs put it and now its great....ask the vette I was next to at 120;)

Also...I put some new wires in my brother-in-laws probe and it ran great affter...It was bucking like hell at low speeds and idling like crap

You can get the magnecor wires at orange county speed for $62.70 The part # is 6074. There phone # is 714-526-5665.

Back