hitches???

ALIENMAN

hey does anyone know if there is a hitch available for a 90 sc AOD or will i have to make one myself. Preferably one that will not require any cutting of the bumper cover.

You will not find a production hitch for the SC because Ford specifically recommends against towing with the car. This recommendation is to prevent some unsympathetic driver from running under boost for extended periods -- guaranteed to lunch an engine!

I made a custom hitch for my '89 to tow a light trailer here in the flatlands of the midwest. I started with a standard hitch for an LX. Trial fitting it to the car showed that the receiver tube had to be removed and then the bottom of the main crosstube aligned with the slot in the rear skirt. The design I created did not require any changes to the rear skirt.

I made a fork type drawbar that has the ball mounted to the rear center. The fork end was designed to span the center vertical rib of the rear skirt. The main cross tube has two slots in the front and rear vertical surfaces to accept the two blades of the fork. Once the fork is slid into place, two bolts from the bottom were inserted to hold it in place and to take the towing loads.

Removing the drawbar is a simple matter of removing the two screws and pulling the drawbar rearward out of the crossbar and rear skirt. Once removed it is almost impossible to see that the car has a hitch on it.

Unfortunately, this car was totaled by an inattentive driver crashing into the rear and everything was bent up enough that I left the hitch on the car when it was taken away. So, I cannot take any pics of the hitch on the car. I still have the drawbar and can take pictures of it. I will probably install a hitch on the '89 I just bought so will use the drawbar there.

I can also make some sketches of how the main crossbeam of the hitch was modified, for anyone who may be interested.

Be aware, however, that any loads or grades that result in running in boost for extended periods is not recommended.

Last edited:
Hitch

I have a 90 AOD also and have installed a "Hidden Hitch". I ordered it from a local Ford dealer and it fit perfectly.
It was under 200 Can dollars.

Back