Alternator alternatives for SC's??

phils89sc

Is there an aftermarket alternator for our SC's (mine is an 89) that has more than a 100 amp output? I am planning on installing my intercooler fan and a pusher fan for the A/C / Radiator (in front of the condensor). I think the factory alternator is pretty stressed as it is.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

I have had really bad luck with alternators in my 1990 SC. I burn one up almost every year. Sometimes twice a year. They are expensive and a pain to change (compaired to most cars). In the past, I have bought remaned units. SIX! Actually! This year I bought a unit from Ford. I hope it lasts at least two years.
Good Luck!

duanemyhre said:
I have had really bad luck with alternators in my 1990 SC. I burn one up almost every year. Sometimes twice a year. They are expensive and a pain to change (compaired to most cars). In the past, I have bought remaned units. SIX! Actually! This year I bought a unit from Ford. I hope it lasts at least two years.
Good Luck!
Whatever you do... Baby it. Never use the alt to charge the battery if you ever drain it. For example, if you leave your lights on and have to have a jump start. Always charge it fully (as in all the way) with a charger first. Check it with the medicine dropper bead bulb. It took 3 Autozone Duralast rebuilts for me to get one which would last for more than a month. Fortunately, they are lifetime units. You should be OK with a new alt.

duanemyhre said:
Good Luck!

Thats why you get a LIFETIME warranty. Then the only prob you have is changing it every year. Which isnt so bad anyway.

I've still have the stock one on my 95 and I have an amplifier that is capgable of drawing up to 80 amps at max input (full volume), and it's still holding up (knock on wood). The sales people tried to tell me that my stock unit probably wasn't rated over 80 amps and I needed to buy this after market 130 amp unit from Pheonix Gold (400 bucks). Needless to say I passed and found out that my stock unit was 110 amps so I didn't change it. If you are having a problem with a rebuilt one, maybe find one that works in a junk yard or on the parts forum? Just a thought.

Alternator altenatives

I replaced my stock alternator with a 3G 130 amp from PA Performance (610-754-1100, www.pa-performance.com). You will need a 8S pulley, which is just an exchange for a 6S pulley. Also, you will need to purchase a wiring harness.

Installation of the alternator requires grinding the support bracket.

My only complaint is that the wiring connection ends up located on the underside of the alternator. They may have a different configuration which moves it to the top. You can also get larger capacity alternators.

Duane

I have found the stock ford alt to be a fairly good unit-rated at 110 amps it leaves adequate room for most accesory add-ons
I think its a good unit for its power to size ratio. My stock unit lasted for 12 years-thats exceptable to me. I think performance of the alt. is directly related to the condition and quality of the battery-wiring-grounds being used.
I have been looking into an upgrade alternative to the mitsu unit and have found the 3g unit to be the best possibility. I guess a few other people are already using this unit. My gripe thus far is having to cut or grind out the factory brackets to make it fit. These units can easily be built at a good alter. shop and have a solid 170-180amp output for about 350.- The shop Im dealing with wants an extra 200. to rework the brackets for me and install the unit. they can also locate the wiring in any one of three positions out the back .
I am only considering this as I have numerous addons drawing peaks of over 250 amps
Any tips on those brackets George?
g/l Josh

Back