Changing differential fluid

derekhay316

Just wondering if I had to take off the whole differential cap to replace the fluid or is there just a drain plug??? Sorry I haven't taken a look yet.

This topic has been covered a lot lately. I had questioned about what kind of Fluid to use. I decided to use Redline. There is no drain hole in your dif. You can either use a pump to suck out the old fluid, or you have to take off the back cover. I decided to take off the back cover. I was told it was a good idea to check the clutches to see if they need to be replaced. If they go out, it will destroy everything (Or so I heard?!). This will also give me the chance to clean it out well and change the seals. I might just do everything while Im down there. Good Luck!

Yep. back cover has to be removed. When I replaced mine I used a fell pro gasket for reinstallation of rear cover plate instead of the black silicone(??) gasket. Don't forget the friction modifier from Ford when putting in new rear end oil. I used synthetic rear end oil I beleive it was Syntec 75/85 gear oil not 100% sure anymore but I can double check if you haven't done it already(I'm sure I have a bill in my wallet or something)

I thought you only needed the friction modifier if there were new gears, or other components in there?

How much does the oil, gaskets, seals etc... cost? I would like to clean the diff. but I dont want to remove anything. Do you just remove back cover and clean stuff up? How do you change the seals, very complicated? What else can I do back there? Thanks!

Gasket was around $15 if you make your own with the silicone probably the same but you could do a few rearends. You won't be able to change any seals unless you take the half shafts out, not the funnest job(remove rear spindle etc)--Does any of your seals leak? Synthetic oil cost me $15/liter and needed just a little over 2 liters. loctite for the rear bolts $8.

All in all under $50.

Just pull out the fill/drain plug, and use a syphon pump to remove the used lubircant - fill with a squirt-top bottle, or use a nozzle tube device. It's a pain in the ***, for a job that you have to do only once every 100Kmiles, it's worth it. Oh, used Valvoline 80W/95 gear oil (like all gear oil, it stinks somethin' fierce), w/ friction modifer, by Ford STealership.

Back