New Member! Please help w/conversion!

VETTETEK

I have just aquired a 1989 XR7 that we are parting out (see for sale section), and were taking the drivetrain and putting it into a standard 3.8 aod 1990 t bird. the Cougars drivetrain is a 3.8 w/screw, and a 5 speed. Since I am a newbie to this, is there anyone out there who already has done the swap, and has any advice?
Let me know!
Thanks,
Jeff

www.fastassdatsun.com

guys.....?????
Hello?????
Uh....32 views, and not 1 reply...I really need the info! Someone please help a newbie?!
thanks,
Jeff:rolleyes:

Not gonna work. Most of the people here know that already. Might as well sell the whole thing and buy an SC or XR7 that is worth keeping.

HMMM....not gonna work???
How so? Im taking a complete drivetrain from a 3.8 litre vehicle out and replacing it with ANOTHER 3.8 litre drivetrain. I also have ALL the necessary wiring, modules, and ect to make this happen.
Id just like to know what makes this not possible...and why...
thanks

Well,

It will work, but maybe what XR7 Dave is saying is that it will take far too much labor and time to make it truly worth it. There are going to be major differences in the wiring, and that will probably be the hardest part. But I guess if you have you mind really set on it and nothing but time to burn, I say go for it!!

Have fun,

Phil

P.S. Another thing that needs to be considered is the rear differential. The stock n/a 3.8L will probably not be able to handle the HP and Torque of the SC V-6 and you should swap out the rear end for the 8.8 from the XR7

Thanks Phil,
We have this complete xr7 we got from the junk yard that was junked with minimal damage. No title though. SO were going to swap over most everything. like the wiring, dash, console, engine , trans, and rear diff. I was just curious if anyone else undertook a project like this before, andwhat to expect.
thanks,
Jeff:D

like the wiring, dash, console, engine , trans, and rear diff.
That is exactly what I am talking about. Why do all that work on an LX when you can buy a running SC for around $1000? You could easily get $600 for the parts. Is all that work worth $400? Not to me it ain't. Have fun though. Oh ya, and make sure you replace the headgaskets while it's apart or you'll be doing it once it is together which is not as much fun.

:D

Oh ya, make sure and pull all the harnesses from the car as you will be doing a complete wiring changover. All of it.

Dave,
Yah, I see your point...kindof. I have always been a "make it your own" kind of guy. The engine is going to get rebuilt when its out...probably "enhanced", the trans and rear will get resealed, ect. The t- bird we have has like 60k on it, and elderly man drove it all its life, and was a california car. Now I see your in ohio, I dont know how the rust is by you, but IF you can find a SC for around 1k around here, its going to be rotted out.
Id rather start fresh with a good "foundation", and build this the way we want, rather than getting something, and tacking on stuff to make it run a little better.
But as always, I appreciate the opinions, after all, thats why I asked!! :D

Jeff
PS Dave, if you think transferring wiring, and drivetrain components from car to car is "work" then you REALLY need to check out my website!!......Now THATS work! ;)

Back