when does this fan come on??

ddw350

i feel like a anus for asking this,but i have owned this sc[1994] for like 6 years now and have never seen or heard the pusher fan come on,it spins freely and i did a "quick" check on the fuses and all.i was under the hood the other day and it dawned on me,what is the purpose of this fan????....thanks

There had been alot of speculation about this fan. For what i've read and after reading many many posts about it, its just sort of an emergency fan just in case the 'big' puller fan inside the engine compartment doesnt sufficiently cool the engine. If this happens (overheating), the pusher fan in front (outside) of the radiator turns on. Mine kept blowing the fusable link thats on the fuse box inside the engine, so I checked it and it was jammed. I thought it was burned out and just last night i was gonna take it appart to see what was wrong, but I just forced it free and it now runs perfectly. Im gonna hook it back up today, but that makes me think. We have this extra fan not coming on most of the time, which is why on many other late model SC's this fan gets stuck or just goes bad, so why not hook it up to either run all the time or plug a switch to it. For convenience sake, it is better to fiddle with this fan when dealing with 'manual' (not eec controlled) cooling. If you run a fan all the time it will lower its pre-determined life and if you hook the 'puller' fan to this it will die and its harder to replace and probably more expensive (besides making it work manually will require cutting wires at the IRCM). If the pusher fan goes bad its easier to replace (3 8mm bolts) you can always use the 'puller' fan to get your engine cooling done (turning AC on) and its just more convenient in my point of view...so that will be my next to-do for my 94.

Back