loosing oil pressure on acceleration

creeperxr7

can anybody diagnose this problem for me would be great. Lately when i launch my car off the line and the rpms go up i ( my oil pressure gauge goes down as soon as i let go of the throtle it will be normal. but if i done get on it and just accelarate moderatly ican hit 100 to 120 mph and oil gauge dont move ! any ideas what can cause this

I had the same problem after putting my motor back together. Turned out to be the connector on the sending unit was loose. I'd say that would be the 1st place to check, and hope thats it.

i hope so . also did i mention if i turn my heater or ac on the oil gauge will go up a little normaly sits on the r then on m or o

Did everyone forget...

That the oil "gauge" in our cars is simply an oil pressure switch with a resistor inline to make you think it is reading engine oil pressure? That is unless you have done the conversion, or installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge (Autometer, VDO, Sunpro, etc.).

If it is indeed the factory idiot gauge you are reading, scrap the sender and install a real oil pressure gauge!!

Phil

loosing oil pressure on acceleration.. NEED SOME HELP!!!!!!!!!

creeperxr7 said:
can anybody diagnose this problem for me would be great. Lately when i launch my car off the line and the rpms go up i ( my oil pressure gauge goes down as soon as i let go of the throtle it will be normal. but if i done get on it and just accelarate moderatly ican hit 100 to 120 mph and oil gauge dont move ! any ideas what can cause this

I am having the same problem...but i'm also getting a stutter when it goes into boost , when i come out of boost and stop my rpms drop...i get as low as 600 then the check gauge light blinks on @600 prm then the needle goes to about 800rpm while the oil gauge dip down and back to NORMAL... i'm really trying to figue this out

I have a new engine with a rebuilt oil pump no leaks any where
new mounts on engine, tranny is new as well. just had a tune up
as well and it seems that this problem started after thetune up

Again...

The factory gauge on your dash doesn't mean squatt!!!! It only moves if there is ANY oil pressure, it does not measure the AMOUNT of oil pressure, it is a simple on/off switch to the "gauge".

This article is in the SCCOA FAQ regarding how to convert your current "gauge" to a functional pressure gauge.

Good luck!!

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/oilgauge.php

Phil

Back