update on messed up tranny

FlyingLow90

i posted last week about some tranny problems i was having, hear is an update on what problems and symtoms i am experiencing plus some mechanics ideas.

i drive it around and it is fine for awhile with full fluid then i get on the freeway or a road where i do 65 or so for a period of time and (its done it twice) all of the sudden my car fills up with smoke from leaking onto my exhaust and while its running you can look under and see fluid pouring out like a water faucet. when you turn it off it quits leaking. now after a day i fill it up with fluid drive it around town 3rd gear at 45 or so i go to push the gas it will just rev till i shift down into drive the the tranny kicks back in. its definatly leaking at the front seal but that had to be caused by something. its also leaking from somewhere else. the fluid smells burnt up. a mechanic who doesnt do tranny work and a tranny guy on the phone says its probably my torq converter going bad. at all times when im driving i hear a rattleing and thumping noise and only when its in gear like tranny could be loose. also lately ever since this has been hapening i have very little power studders harnd and is slow. my speedo sticks very bad and is not accurate and also when i am doing like 75 or so and it is in the OD position my shift up light comes on like when im on it hard and it wants to shift up and this is at like 4K but ive never had it up any higher to see if it really shifts or if it doesnt. someone has got to help my out with what is wrong with it. i just bought it for a daily driver till i get a new daily driver but i cant even drive it right now.

If I were you I would buy me a tranny rebuilt kit and a new torque converter and fix the damn thing. The overhaul kit costs around 200 dollars and the tc around 90, now if you have any broken hard parts it can get a little expensive, but if you can do all the work yourself that saves alot. I overhauled my 1984 lincoln's tranny and I only spent 300 dollars torque converter included. Tranny shops wanted 1200 dollars..........oh hell no!

Well from the info you provide it does sound like the torque converter is at least part of the problem. This is why. What you are describing shuddering and what sounds like pieces flying around inside.
When you overrev the engine around 5800 RPM the stock converter balloons(expands) some pieces inside the torque converter fall out of place and just flop around in the torque converter.
I have one in the shop that ballooned so much that there are perfect imprints in the converter of the crankshaft bolt heads.

Back