Body lift

Alan K

Does anyone know where to go for Lift kits(?). I want to raise the body on my 95 SC about 2 inches? I have seen kits before at places like bluemotorsports.com. But, they seem to disappear as quickly as they appeared.
Kent

There are NO lift kits that I know of...

Most people want to drop a few inches off their ride height with a car, and they want to lift a truck or SUV.

That being said, it may not be impossible to lift the car. You may need to look into some kind of rubber/polyuerethane blocks to put under your springs.

Some of those truck kits may have a part in them that might do the trick.

Odd question, but difficult. Unlike a pickup, our car is a uni-body construction.

so you might be able to gain an inch or two by bumping up the suspension a bit. But too much and you'll mess with the geometry which would mean relocating suspension mounting points. not a simple thing with a fully independent suspension.

Keep in mind that if you are just thinking about big wheels, you can tuck 20" wheels under those fenders without much effort and no real need to raise the car.

You can't use much of a body lift between the rear subframe and the body of the car, due to the limited clearance for the driveshaft in the driveshaft loops above the gas tank. Not to mention driveline angles. Why are you wanting to do this anyway?

-Rod

This is just one on the most interesting things I have read in a long time. Are you lifting the car to add air suspension? The kind that makes the car jump up and down??:confused:

Good guess Duane

Thats a good guess. I'll tell you, I am getting mighty curious about this myself....Alan? Are you reading this? Please satisfy our curiousity....

TROLL.

Troll on a stick.

Why don't you ask if you can put in a V-12 that runs on water?

or at least be attentive to your own thread? :rolleyes:

Waiting to hear about Alans Plan!!!

We are still waiting for a reply Alan. You have set a new president in what people will do with an SC. I believe this is uncharted territory! Don’t keep us in suspense…

Duane

IT HAS BEEN DONE

Alan K, look in the Race/Track Results section and look for the title that says something like "1st couple of races with a 90SC Dirt Track Car". He has before and after pics. Car sits a little high. I would thnk you could email him and get some help. Sorry I havn't figured how to post a link yet. There are several ways to do it.
Doug

Answers

Well, been gone a couple of days, so haven't had a chance to speak up. Lift (?). It's simple, I like to get into my vehicle, not get into a bucket. Every time I see one of those dropped vehicles it reminds me of a bunch of hoodlums. Who would really want to mimic street thugs? Lifting the body implies stiffer springs and shock absorbsion systems. This in turn will give a more stable (not to be confused with soft/firm) platform in adverse weather conditions. As well as handling in quick reaction traffic scenarios. As to the comment about screwing up the geometry... Lifting (1 to 2 ins.) is not going to change the engineering any more than Dropping it (1 to 2 ins.) will. The COG should be the only dynamic effected. 1 to 2 ins. vertically (either direction) should be well within design parameters.
This vehicle ('95) was ordered and built knowing that this was the Last of it's breed. There are no dealership advertisements on it, and never were. It was not purchased to fulfill a need for notoriety. It is going to be all it can & was meant to be. This is a touring car. As such, any changes to this vehicle are centered around it's ability to respond to various road and traffic conditions.
Thanks Avibank for the tip about the Race/Track section.
Kent

sure? i heard AMC Eagles are fairly high off the ground, but you can "lift" yours by geting the springs re-arced

Geometry - Actually, you don't know what lifting it 2 inches might do. The assumption there is that the stock location is midway between a drop and a raise. Not a safe assumption without investigation.

Also the geometry change that you get when dropping would be reversed when raising. Lowering the car typically creates negative camber due to the fixed length of the various attaching points for the wheel. Raising the car is going to create more positive camber for the same reasons.

Positive camber, in general, is the opposite of what you want to see in the suspension for optimum traction.

Now you could likely go to a spring shop and have custom lift springs built. But you would want to make sure they can build you something that won't make the car bouncy. You might want to start with just some simple coil spring expanders you can pickup at your local auto parts store. I had to use two sets on my rear springs in my 65 Corvair to get some oversized 16" aluminum wheels and tires to fit under them.

Alan K said:
Does anyone know where to go for Lift kits(?). I want to raise the body on my 95 SC about 2 inches?

Lifting the body implies stiffer springs and shock absorbsion systems.

I thought you were trying to lift the body in relation to the subframes via a body lift, like those offerred for some trucks.

I think the car is going to look a little off with that much space between the tires and the fenders. How big of a tire are you going to use if you lift the car 2"?

-Rod

Tires

Yea Racecougar,
It would look odd if I were going to leave the stocks on it. I'm contemplating going up to 18 in.
Kent

Alan K

This sounds interesting. I would like to see a pic of the car after you have raised it and put bigger wheels on it.

Duane

dropping the car...hoodlums...street thugs...riaaaaght. performance, handling, launching off the line, thats what its about. Besides who would want to emulate street thugs with a car that handled well, certainly not me.:rolleyes:

Back