Am I being overcharged?

Crusader

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 90' SC AOD in pretty good condition. I'm slowly starting to fix things here and there. So far all I did was get a tune up and a cat-back flowmaster exaust.
The next thing on my list is the rear end, which is leaking a decent amount. I am going to get all of the seals replaced. Now, I figured while he's going to have the rear end apart, I might as well get 3.73 gears in there. My mechanic is also suggesting that I should get new clutches because the ones in there are probably worn out. The car does have 109k on it, so hes probably right.

Now the problem is this: He's saying this is all going to add up to $1100 - $1400 with parts and labor.

He's telling me that the seals themselves are probably only about $50 for the parts.
I see the Ring and Pinion sets going for $190 on http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/
He also says that the clutch kit will be about $150

Just for the parts this adds up to $390
Since I don't know what is involved with doing all of this work, I don't know if this is a major job or not. But that seems like an aweful lot of labor cost right there. He told me his labor for this job is $500.
So thats roughly $900. Add a few hundred for "screw you" tax and I guess his price is in the ballpark.
Am I being screwed here, or is this just a larger job than I had originally thought?
I appreciate any input. Thanks.

-Tim

EDIT:
I also forgot about the bearings. He's saying that I'll need new ones after he takes the rear end apart. Apparently they will get ruined when he takes the gears apart.

I am just wondering if everything sounds on target here. I don't know too much about cars so I don't know if I'm getting screwed or not. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Tim, I would call your local parts store and get a price on those driveaxle seals. Think I paid $16.00 or less for both. Personally I think you are being way over charged. I wouldn't bother replacing the clutches in the tranny, that will save you alot of money. And try to find a friend or a friend that knows a mechanic that will do your gears for you at his house and pay him a 100 bucks or so. Don't forget the posi juice. All together with the gears from jegs, and instalition I would think $350 tops. Just what I'd do.........

Ya, you are getting hosed.

There is a guy in cinci or dayton that does SC's all the time for like under $100 labor.

Shoot, for that just call up Five Star Ford and have them ship you out a brand new all aluminum Cobra pumpkin with 3.73's and a brand new limited slip already in there. I think they are about $6-700 complete.

Where is it leaking from? Could just be the rear cover leaking. I'd get that figured out before swapping out all of those parts.

you could also check with a local transmission and driveline shop and get another quote. They specialize in that type of work so their labor should be lower, and their costs for the parts may be lower as well.

And by all means, check out FiveStar Ford.

It looks like pretty much every seal is leaking. I had the car in the air last week and got a good look at it.
I will definatly look around for better prices. Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm going to check out five star ford right now =)
Is it just fivestarford.com?
Thanks again.

-Tim

Last edited:
Back