Annoying rattle when accelerating :(

derekhay316

I've had this rattle for the whole time I've owned my car and its really starting to annoy me. I thought it might be a manifold leak or something so I put in some gaskets which didn't fix the problem. Then I decided to replace most of the exhaust components that might cause it. I replaced everything except the drivers side cat (the exhaust guy said that was fine). So now I have no idea what It could be. The thing is is that it doesn't rattle when the car is not in motion (i can rev it to redline and it won't rattle at all). But when I'm driving the car if I accelerate too fast it'll rattle. Its a definately a metal tingy rattle from the drivers side. Maybe it could be a heat shield or something??? Or maybe i didn't put the manifold gaskets on tight enough? Might be the old cat??? What do you guys think? Thanks a lot in advance.

possible causes......

There could be a heat shield loose - only way you'll know is to get under and wiggle them all to see of loose or hitting.

You didn't state if the noise is in the front or rear. One other thing to check is the rear shock lower mounts. Grab the bottom of the shock - move it back and forth - see if the inner metal sleeve has seperated from the shock. This will make a rattling noise.

Good Luck,

Mark
'93 SC

If it is a loose heat shield, go to a hardware store and buy an extra long hose clamp. Wrap it completely around the heat shield and cat, tighten it up and cut off the excess. Takes arbout 10 minutes to do and then...no more rattle.

I don't know exactly what sound you are experiencing, but make sure your supercharger has fluid :eek: ! It should be just touching the bottom of the fill plug bolt. When it gets low, it can make a metal on metal type of sound.

Rattle

I've been having the same problem and finally it came down to the resonator. After a while the resonator starts to break down and pieces start to come apart in there. I couldn't find a resonator as replacement so My muffler shop cut a hole in the end of the res and fishhed out the the loose peices and now its fine!

Back