Blower pulley removal

Jake

How hard is it to remove the pulley on the blower? It looks simple enough, but everything looks simple on this car until I try to fix or replace it. Figured I'd check here first for a change.

It is not too difficult. You need a three prong pulley puller. You can usually get them loaned to you from a parts store.

Leave the belt on the super charger, remove the bolt from the nose, take off the belt and then use the pulley puller to remove the pulley. Spray the nose with brake parts cleaner, put some anti-seize compound on the shaft and slide the new pulley on the shaft. Be careful not to bang or hammer on the shaft as it may damage the snout seal. When you get the pulley on most of the way you can slip the belt back on to help you tighten the bolt. An extra set of hands really helps make the job simpler.

Bob

Impact wrench

I just did this.
I had a smaller 3-jaw pulley and had to loosen the thermostat housing to get access (draining the fluid first) .
Leave the pulley belt on and use an impact wrench to remove and install the pulley nut.
If you don't have a compressor and impact wrench then wait on the pulley and buy them.

Cheers
MB

Blower pulley

No one mentioned the woodruff key that will fall off when you remove the pulley and needs to be replaced on install. Its a half circle of metal that sits in a little slot on the shaft and lines up to a slot on the pulley. It keeps the pulley from spinning on the shaft. Good luck

For the life of me, I can't get the nut off without spinning the pulley. I only have basic tools. :(

I tried holding the inner nut with a visegrip, while trying to loosen the 18mm nut with a torque wrench. The damn vise grip won't hold. :mad:

WHAT TO USE

SPRAY WITH A RUST CUTTTING OIL LET SIT A WHILE.....................HOT AIR GUN OR HAIR DRYER ON NUT..............ALSO THE PULLEY WILL BEND WHEN COMING OFF.............FAST FREDDIE:D :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I will have it on in a couple of hours.

Back