Setting TDC?

Thomas A

How do I tell when I am at TDC? This is one thing I have never really figured out or tried before. I need to adjust my lifter preload. Thanks!!

Thomas

Well, I would ALWAYS follow the maintenance manual to "set" the engine at (whatever degrees) before TDC if you're setting up a timing issue. But, if you just want to get the engine at TDC, I usually stick a pencil (eraser down) in the spark plug hole AND HOLD IT CAREFULLY while someone rotates the engine. If you are looking for TDC on compression, I usually do the same thing as mentioned as above and then when I find out where TDC is, back the engine off a little bit, remove said pencil and stick my thumb or finger over the spark plug hole and while the engine is moved back in the normal direction. When air starts hissing around your thumb or finger, you know you're on the compression stroke. If not, you know that this is the exhaust stroke and you must turn the crankshaft another 360 degrees to get it on the compression stroke. This is just my "don't have enough money for the right tool" method. I have never attempted this on my SC as I have not had to do this for any timing issue, but my recommendation is to use the maintenance manual. I hope this helps.

Disconnect the ignition coil and have somebody turn the engine over while you put your thumb over the spark plug hole and whenever you feel the pressure pushing your thumb tell the person to stop, and then align the timing marks to zero.

I f you have the valve covers off .Just turn the motor over until
you see the push rods on the number one cylinder or at there
lowest point.Then use a dial indicator on top of piston.

Then mark your aluminum pulley to a pointer or mark on the block
for the future.

Make sure to turn motor in its normal running rotation.

And if you what every thing to be natsass,and use a degree
wheel.Say so and I will post on how to.

RANDY

Last edited:
Back