Tuners how much timing

BKB

for those with SC or EEC Tuners what are you running for base timing? I have a detonation problem at 3K and just wanted to know what you were running. Im running 30' from 4700 up with no problem.

3000rpm is likely right at your torque peak. That is where maximum cylinder pressure is occuring. I use about 23-25 degrees in that rpm range. You may want to look at your a/f ratio also. I would rather richen the midrange than drop timing. What mixture are you running there? I would recommend about 12.0 to start. Of course you need to verify your settings in your Tuner to match the readings on a WB02 first. It may be that your MAF is reading wrong and screwing you up.

30 is too much at full advance for MOST SC's. On the dyno the most I have seen a car take without hitting the knock sensor was 29. Also, if your car is going lean that's an easy way to eat a headgasket. Before you advance that much timing it would be a good investment to go to a dyno and get your a/f checked.

Brian

My A/F is around 12 at 3k and 11.5 from 4k up. Leaning it out dosent seem to improve anything. I was running 24' at 3k and it pings pretty bad. running 93 in it right now with a ported 94 blower using a 3% pulley pushing 15psi. My front mount IC is very efficent with intake temps never hitting over 100'F. I dont have a KS since this motor is in a 94 mustang using the V6 stang computer. I have been using a WB and a star tester that tells me my total timing load sort and long term trims. I have it running in open loop, i cant get it to run in closed loop. In OL it folows my base fuel table and does just what i want it to. As soon as i put it in CL it starts running really lean. Im using 50lb injectors

I use the NGS tool too, it's decent for data logging.

Now are you actually getting 30 degrees of commanded spark displayed thru the PIDS? If so that's an awful lot.

In my hot file I typically use, I run 21 degrees of spark at 2400. I think 24 is too much if you want your motor to last.

the car won't go closed loop at WOT, only the 00-up stuff has that capability. If you can't get closed loop at cruising, use your GS to look at TP mode. It should be P/T at closed loop. Also if you are using the mustang computer you will have to change the load scaling on the open loop load tables.

Brian

Last edited:
The load scalling has been taken care of. Being able to read load is nice with the star. At first i was hitting 180% load. My problem is not getting the car into closed look its getting it to run right in CL. It just does crazy stuff in CL but runs great in OL. Yes i have been running 30' actual comanded timing from about 4700 to 6k without pinging. But i have now reduced my timing a little and plan to do some trial runs. Thanks for the help. But if you want to send me a bank 1-2 and mod file so i can get a better look at what my timing should be i would appreciate it.

I am guessing you are using a 94 mustang v6 EEC since that's the first year the star can log engine load. You're going to need the base, borderline, af, retard for act, retard for ect, and act/ect multiplier tables to pull from a 94-95 Super coupe. All 89-95 stuff is 1-bank too.

1.8 also seems inaccurate for load. Engine loading shouldn't go above 1.2. I have a 2.2L autorotor SC that doesn't get above 1.4 for load.

Brian

I know the tuner pretty well what i needed help with is what i actually want it to do. Like you telling me that my load should be around 120% this is the good stuff i need to know. Right now my load is around 135% at 5K. I thought 140% was that i was shooting for but know i know im wrong. Should i increase my CID to help bring this down a bit?
Yes i have a 94 using the CCAQ. Normaly i set my base, borderline, and altitude tables all the same but this last tune has gotten a little messed up. The car feels the best it has ever run and drivability is great. One consern is my injector pulse width is only 20 at 5k on a flat road. Does this indicate to large of a injector? if you dont mind please take a look at it and tell me if anything looks strange.

Thanks
BKB

Back