Replaced Headgaskets, STILL WHITE SMOKE!!!!

89xr7man

Replaced Headgaskets, Update:White smoke gone

OK, just finished the long job of replacing the headgaskets because started having loss of power and white smoke coming from the tailpipes. Replaced the gaskets which i might add did not look blown with Felpro gasket set. Now that the job is done, I have more white smoke than before. Car idles fine but feels like it is getting way to much fuel or something when you try to get on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Update: the white smoke is gone and fixed the code 31 which was the egr transducer not being connected.

Last edited:
its taken me about 30 minutes to flush the old coolant from the mufflers and cats before, just keep swapping oil and filters till it clears, 4 oil/filter changes max and it should be clean, usually takes 3 in a period of an hour or so:eek: . Just dont drive it while its smoking,let it idle, it should slowly clear up. If not...:(

oh yea, I meant swap oil/filters if the oil has water in it still

Last edited:
White Smoke

I have heard of a stuck open fuel injector causing a problem that you are describing, albeit happened on a Cadilliac Northstar. Just something to think about.

one thing that is overlooked (assuming your head gaskets really were blown) is that you need to change the O2 sensors because the coolant from driving with the blown head gaskets will ruin them. Run it with the old O2 sensors until you are sure all the coolant residue is out of the exhaust, then install new O2 sensors. possibly your smoke is because the car is running too rich, due to faulty signal from the O2 sensors.......

Thanks for the replies, I will try the oil/filter swaps and the o2 sensors as that is how it acks, like it is running really rich. But i though the smoke would be blue if it was running rich?

Smoke

I really have no idea what the problem is with the car.. but I do know that
Blue smoke = Oil burning
White smoke = Water/coolant burning
Black smoke = Excess gas burning/running rich

I don't know if this applies or not since my SC has a 5 speed, but I've seen the vacuum modulator go bad on the automatic transmissions of several different cars and they smoked more than Joe Camel! Not sure if you have an automatic and if so, if it has a vacuum modulator, but I thought I'd mention this because the smoke is much whiter than your ordinary blue flavored motor oil smoke is.

If it doesn't apply, just have a good laugh and then ignore me!

I dont think I've ever swapped an O2 yet with a blown head gasket, I just drive the piss out of them and the light goes away, (code usually for 02 not switching or whatever), beats me:confused: . Does coolant permanently ruin the sensors?

I bought a code reader and it is reading 31. Which indicates there is something wrong with the EGR valve or component of. Also no smoke when i started it up today....

if i change the head gaskets but did not change the o2 sensors and i am not getting any lights/codes does that mean they are still okay or should i change them.

89xr7man said:
I bought a code reader and it is reading 31. Which indicates there is something wrong with the EGR valve or component of. Also no smoke when i started it up today....
Cool. I'd suggest you pull the O2 sensors and clean the tips with a propane torch.. that burns off the carbon, oil, etc and is supposed to restore them. You might consider some hi-temp antiseize if you think you'll ever need to pull them in the future although mine were not that hard to turn even after 150,000 miles.

vacuum modulator

just a reply to the post regarding the vacuum modulator. while a bad modulator can cause smoking by pulling trans fluid into the combustion chamber, neither the AOD or AODE trans uses a vacuum modulator, the AOD uses a TV cable and the AODE is electronically controlled. just thought i'd clear that up.

Could the EGR Transducer cause this problem? I will look at it at lunch, I don't remember seeing it or hooking it back up when i put the motor back together....

just wanted to let you or anyone know that the code 31 was from the EGR Transducer not being connected ( the black tube was connected but not the electric plug) Hopefully when i get the new hi-flo cats put on all perfomance issues will be gone.

could you tell me where the egr transducer is???

I might be having the same problem with my 92 SC.

Thanks,

James Gangel

89xr7man said:
just wanted to let you or anyone know that the code 31 was from the EGR Transducer not being connected ( the black tube was connected but not the electric plug) Hopefully when i get the new hi-flo cats put on all perfomance issues will be gone.

This sounds like a component of the evaporative gas recirculation system, which is not on your '92.

Precisely what symptoms are you having?

Back