PCV Valve change

Digitalchaos

With my vehicle now having 89k & its origin before 87k being uncertain, I am interested in changing the PCV valve.

First, I assume by way of the vac diagram under my hood the PCV is the one located on the passenger valve cover with the metal hose attached. How is this valve removed without damaging its metal hose? Must it also be removed?

Second, are there any other components of the PCV system that should be changed at this time?

I understand that SC PCVs are slightly different than those on N/A applications, do to their design for a tighter seal. I will likely be purchasing at Autozone, but also have Carquest, Napa, & a local store near me.

Thanks for your assistance!

Ok Autozone also had a deutsch breather filter listed for the SC engine, so I acquired one of these (BF501) along with a Deutsch PCV valve (PCV164) & air filter. It mentions the breather filter being near the airbox? In any case, I will soon be installing these so mention anything that should be known; especially about that metal PCV hose.

The PCV just pops right out of there, there's really nothing to it at all. Trust me, give it a try. The breather filter should be located inside your airbox. It's a rectangular paper element that is located on the front wall of the lower half of your airbox, and it is held in with a clip. Both of these together will take you less than 5 mins to change.

-Rod

Ok.. I removed the PCV vavle from the valve cover, but can't get it out of the rubber section of hose @ the end of the metal hose. Too tight, guess I'll keep trying.

As for the Breather filter, I can not find it! lol. It is nowhere around the airbox, that is certain. The only hose coming from the intake section before the TB is a small hose off the main rubber/plastic air hose, going to an elbow in the drivers side vavle cover, closest to the cooling fan. This car only has 1 PCV valve, right?

In any case, do all SCs have a breather filter? Mine is a '93 5speed. Pics as to its location would be helpful at this point.

Thanks.

Eat some spinach, you'll get that PCV off of there. I'm not certain as to whether or not all SC's had the breather filter or not. If it did, there would be a small round hole in the front of the lower half of your airbox, and a hose running to that location.

-Rod

Hmm ok. Unless my airbox was replaced, the only holes are for the main air outlet hose and the oval air silencer hole. I looked for a hose before that might go to this filter and could neither find it or a socket anywhere on the airbox for it. There was one listed for '93 though.. wierd. Doesn't look like there is any thin hose going to that location either. Guess I'll just do the PCV valve.

Thanks again for your help!

Filter

This must be aftermarket because I've got lots of manuals and have taken apart lots of air boxes and this is the first time I've heard of it. I can't see how it would be useful at filtering PCV oil when its that far forward of the return in front of the t-body when its pulling it into the intake. I'm confuded as to what it does.
Need more info.

It's most definitely stock on some 3.8L N/A MN12's, as I've seen it in quite a few of the cars that I've parted out. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find those parts and get some pics for everyone.

-Rod

Ok so it looks like SC's do not have this then. The Chilton manual does not specify an engine, so it likely talks about an N/A application. And the listing + selling of a specific model # for the SC at Autozone by Deutsch must indicate a lack of knowledge about our cars on their part. lol. I have looked again at daylight and there is definatley nothing there for this filter. Only a PCV vavle & the regular air filter element.

I also think I've read that a breather element does not exist on SCs somewhere in the past on the forums.

Digitalchaos said:
Ok so it looks like SC's do not have this then. The Chilton manual does not specify an engine, so it likely talks about an N/A application. And the listing + selling of a specific model # for the SC at Autozone by Deutsch must indicate a lack of knowledge about our cars on their part. lol. I have looked again at daylight and there is definatley nothing there for this filter. Only a PCV vavle & the regular air filter element.

I also think I've read that a breather element does not exist on SCs somewhere in the past on the forums.

BETTER MAKE SURE THAT PCV SEALS UNDER BOOS LIKE IT SHOULD. IF NOT YOU WILL BE LETTING BOOST INTO THE CRANKCASE. THAT CAN LEAD TO PROBLEMS.

Back