Rough Idle

Jawinter

I have a 1990 Cougar xr7, and i am having a big problem. The problem that i am having is when the car starts it wants to die right away. The only way it will remain running is if i hold the gas at 2000 RPms. But there is a twist. When i put the code scanner on the vehicle and do the run test the vehicle holds an idle by its self. Parts that i have replaced are the cam sensor, and idle air control valve. Please send me a reply by email for help. The last thing i want to do is go to the dealer.

Joe

jawinter@iupui.edu

no idle concern

whats wrong with the dealer............lol . first let me tell you thats no twist the pcm allows the idle to stabilize at a self test fixed rpm.if your not retrieving any codes you may have a base engine concern. sounds like a vacuum leak but maybe not.but looking for a vacuum leak seems like a cheap place to start.before you get into sensor probing for there operating values.don't get into swapping out parts you'll probably spent more then you need to.with no vacuum leaks you'll want check some sensors like maf,ect,act,tp these are input sensors which are viewed by the pcm intern controls the output sensors such as the iac solenoid.i hope you see the picture if not e-mail me at carfix@aol.com glad to help you along...............Doug.

Last edited:
Dont know what to do

My rough idle still continues.I have changed the computer, control module, idle air control valve, and coolant temp sensor. I checked the timing and when i pull the plug it is at 10 degrees. My fuel pressure is ok. I am still having the rough idle when it first starts. But when it gets hot it can idle on its own. I just do not know what to do. I need some advice or i am gonna go crazy. Please help. I have the Autolite Douple Platniums that i want to put in to replace the Bosch Platnium 4, but i dont think that will make a difference.

Joe

1990 Cougar XR7

Back