will removing just the mufflers help it breathe?

ALIENMAN

trying to cut costs and still work on the bird i am wondering if i remove just the mufflers leaving the rest of the stock exhaust will it help the flow reducing back pressure or do i basically got to redo it all right from the front? Also will it make it sound bad?

90 SC AOD nuthin done to it yet but lots of ideas.

sounds good

That is one of the first things I did when I got my SC was to cut the mufflers off. The car sounds good, a little throaty, and at highway speeds its the only thing you can hear. It is a little loud @ 70 mph but not to bad. You will notice an exhaust smell when you get on it for an extended period. As far as the flow benefits I'm no expert but I did loose 2# of boost so it must help a bit. Good luck!

I believe you would benefit more from a performance standpoint by removing the stock resonator & replacing it with another or a section of pipe. Most associate this action with small-engine drone sound, but seem to sucessfully compensate for that sacrifice by using longer mufflers.

The mufflers don't provide a serious source of exhaust restriction in the stock setup when compared to the necked down area on the resonator outlet. You've got to replace that before you'll really help the breathing of your car in any meaningful way.

sounds like a 2.8 GM with a blown muffler with the rear mufflers cut off, might also have a whistling resonator with no rears

ASSCLOWn where did you get that from. Neither of the Two SC's that I owned had mufflers on them and they were both quiet. The mufflers made almost no difference in sound what so ever on a stock exhaust. Now they do make it a little louder with an exhaust that has been opened up.

my ears, I heard mine when I cut the stock mufflers off:eek: . I also had the stock cats and it sounded like crap, I asked a few people what it sounded like when I drove by, they were also happy it sounded like crap:)

The mufflers have the least effect on reducing horsepower on your SC. The resonator might be a better bet if you want to save money. I would start with headers, and slowly work your way back over time. Exhaust upgrades are probably one of the healthiest (easy on the engine) horsepower upgrades you can do on any car. (If done right!)

Back