Brake Fluid Leaking from Suction Hose-Need Remedy

acros323

I have been a long time reader of the forums, and let me start by saying thank you for the excellent resource!! I've read numerous posts that have helped solve many of my car qualms. This time, however, the search feature isn't providing me with an exact solution to my issue. Here it goes: the "braided" line running from the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir is leaking at the top of the hose (by the reservoir). The end connected below the accumulator seems fine. The Ford shop manual lists this as a suction line. I was wondering if it has to be replaced with the same "synthetic/braided" type line, or if it would be possible to replace it with a rubber hose and good clamping. I was going to attempt to see for myself, however the connection that runs below the accumulator seems to have some sort of rubber "gromet" type connection. I put gromet in quotes because I'm not exactly sure what it is. I'm afraid to just start pulling on things before I know if it is "safe" or not. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Like I said, the connection to the reservoir is the only area leaking. Thanks a TON in advance! :)

That line shouldn't be under pressure, but it does have exposure to heat sitting over the exhaust like it does. The assembly is supposed to be fairly easy to remove so I would suggest removing the master cylinder and set it on a bench so you can get a good eyeball on it. A local hydraulic shop may be able to make you up a similar hose for a reasonable cost.

Pull the hose loose from the reservoir and use a mirror to look at the nipple on the underside to make sure there aren't any cracks around the nipple. If it's good to go then put the hose back in place & use a hose clamp.

Whatever you do...DO NOT disturb/upset/jack with the inlet fitting (other end of the hose) on the pump motor.

'bird

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I figured that the connection to the pump was sensitive and was why I left it alone until I got advice. :) I will check the stability of the reservoir nipple and let you know if that is my issue. If it is I'll find a replacement, otherwise I'll see if clamping will solve it. If that fails then I'll see about getting another hose at a hydraulic shop as Mike suggested. It isn't leaking terribly, but just enough to leave a small spot on the ground. I recently bought a 35th anniversary and am in the process of fixing up all these "little" things. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

I had this same hose split at the reservoir end,(terrible leak)...Ford shop says that part is discontinued.
What now, or where do I get that style & size of hose that resists heat & simply pushes on.
I really don't see how I could clamp it without nearly removing the engine..its not easily accessible to get tools to.
I hope it was ok to remove the hose from the pump.

I would start with having the Ford guy do an inventory search and see if someone has one on the shelf somewhere.

To fix it I would work towards pulling the entire assembly out. It's difficult to access but it can come out. It may be easier if you pull the SC and it's associated parts out first.

Once you have it out you should be able to go to a place that deals with hydraulic hoses and find something to replace it with.

Back