MAF & intake modifications

Digitalchaos

I noticed this article over @ the tccoa and wondered if the concept applies to forced induction engines such as the Supercoupe; or if the higher level of air flow would negate any difference?

Also, I was reading the MAF articles and it seems that some of them imply that with a stock MAF & ecu settings, modifying the intake with a cold air setup might not yeild optimal results & possibly cause leaner conditions at WOT.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!

Your link to articles links to a bunch. Which one are you talking about?

The issue with the MAF and resulting in a lean setup is if you modify the MAF. A cold air setup only improves the air flowing over the maf. Assuming the maf has not been modified, it's existing transfer functions should work just fine. The problem comes from modifying a MAF in a way that allows anomolies to be read by the sensor causing the sensor to give the ECU the wrong data for the given air entering the engine. At worst, causing a critical lean condition, at best, creating a non-optimum combustion fuel/air mixture.

That is why you will often see tuners point out the flaw with C&L MAF's and home made MAF mods. Tuners see such vehicles often and see the mess they have to correct to get things back to optimum again.

im confused is it worth it to get a MAF. from what i understand from the posts is that they can lean out the engine and not help much.

Thank you for the information.

The article I was intending on linking to was the one about flipping the MAF sensor.. it appears javascript has been incorporated in an effort to increase copyright protection.

David; judging by these articles, I believe under upgraded intake conditions a properly designed aftermarket MAF sensor can provide additional gains.

Both C&L and PRO-M make mafs that work. Most tuners feel that the PRO-M MAFS are more accurate as they are programmed specifically for your vehicle. They also ship a document that outlines out they are programmed, allowing a tuner to build you a optimized control file without having to place your car on a dyno to validate anything.

C&L MAF's use some mechanical trickery to fake out the engine computer fooling it into adding the necessary extra fuel by using replacable sample tubes that change the amount of air flowing over the sensor. The problem with this is that it creates a very linear change, but MAF transfer functions are more complex than a simple one size fits all tube swap can duplicate. This can create overly rich conditions in some circumstances, and possibly overly lean conditions in others.

In general, people with C&L and people with PRO-M mafs have been happy.

The C&L meter does no tricks different than the Pro-M. If you are attempting to run larger injectors without an EEC tune of some sort, THEN you must trick the EEC. With a proper tune the C&L, Pro M, and Lightning MAF's all work fine.

Back