PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call

Wzenheimer
07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Who is going to the shootout....???

Chris

PS If your going get registered

SC/XR7 Shootout Registration Linky (http://www.albeedigital.com/shootout/show.html)

XxSlowpokexX
07-08-2003, 11:37 AM
I'm Thinking of going Chris..Just need to see if my car will be done..I'm still at the verge of burning it haha

Damon

David Neibert
07-08-2003, 03:17 PM
I'll be there.

David

Bill McNeil
07-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Sean and I should be there.

Mike Puckett
07-08-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm planning on it.

SilverCasket
07-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I look forward to seeing many of you again there!

Count another one here,
Anthony

kuhnga
07-09-2003, 05:09 PM
I will be there

Gary

forcfed93
07-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Count me in!!!!!

racecougar
07-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Chris, you know I'll be there. Did you get my PM?

-Rod

Blown347
07-12-2003, 06:14 AM
XR7 Dave, Gary and I just took out the motor so everything should fall in place to make it out.

Chris

Bill McNeil
07-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Chris,

Are people just not speaking up or what?

How many people have registered?

Wzenheimer
07-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Including myself we are still in the single digits for attendance. I am guessing some were waiting on the hotel information which is up BTW.

BTW Bill have you registered yet?

Chris

WiscoAndy
07-17-2003, 01:18 PM
pretty sure I'm coming, gotta register -etc.
I also wanna Dyno so I gotta get organized and make the committment.
Andy

kuhnga
07-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Just registered!

Chris,

In the event that someone ran I time in the 11's would the track insist on not running anymore if a roll bar is not installed?

Gary

XR7 Dave
07-17-2003, 07:30 PM
I will be there with a slow car. :D BTW, how many mod points does the SWB get? I plan on running it for Stock ET Challenger.....

racecougar
07-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Don't worry everyone, my car is slower. I'll be happy with some high 15 sec runs with my splitport tbird. But it's not a SC, so I'll be running in the MN12 chassis bracket. I just need to get it to be consistent.

-Rod

Wzenheimer
07-18-2003, 01:52 AM
I have ran 11's there on different occasions. They have yet to give me any flak or crap on a CAGE issue, however they have given me crap on having a firejacket. Anything under 12.00 dial in requires a cage and a firejacket. They seem to be more interested in a firejacket. So if you plan on breaking into the 11's bring a jacket and a cage.

Just remember everyone must follow current NHRA safety guidelines as required by the SC/XR7 Shootout Rules.

Chris

pro street rich
07-18-2003, 10:39 AM
I will be coming and I will bring at least one real S.C. to play with. That is all I will say now, yes keep those secrets coming.....Rich

Wzenheimer
07-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey all,

It has been brought to my attention via the committee members that we should remind everyone of the rules for the Shootout. I will provide an explanation along with this reminder so that it is very clear to everyone.

ALL PARTICIPANTS VEHICLES MUST MEET AND FOLLOW CURRENT NHRA SAFETY RULES AND PROCEDURES. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE RULES WILL RESULT IN SC/XR7 SHOOTOUT DISQUALIFICATION.

The reason we are pointing this out has multiple reasons. First as an organzied event we must make the rules as fair to all participants as possible. Second, while we have a disclaimer that removes all liabilities from all event organizers and officials SAFETY is an imperative issue for this event. The NHRA has an established set of rules for SAFETY for drag racing and those rules have been chosen to be used.

To explain the intent of this rule if Mr. or Ms. XXX was to have a car that ran 11.99 or quicker without a cage they would be disqualified. It would not be fair nor SAFE to allow someone without a cage to run 11.99 or quicker.

We only want this to be a FUN, SAFE, and exhilarating event that is fair to all participants. So please come to the event fully prepared to PASS an NHRA safety inspection. For those of you with a trunk mounted battery...better get a shut-off. For those of you possibly going to run an 11.99 or quicker, get your fire jacket, and get a cage or detune your car to run 12.00 or slower. If you are going to run 13.99 or quicker better bring a helmet.

We just want everyone to know the rules up front so there isn't someone who possibly drives 1200 miles and gets disqualified for lack of a helmet, or whatever.

So I myself have been shopping around for a cage and a fire jacket.

Chris

kuhnga
07-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info.
There is a place 30 mins from me that makes them for our cars.
I am putting one in the the next day or two I could let you know.

Chrome moly +$395

www.swracecars.com

Gary

Wzenheimer
07-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks Gary let me know and get some pics if you could.

Chris

Wzenheimer
07-24-2003, 12:28 PM
I found a guy that will do the whole thing for $650, does this seem decent to everyone?

Chris

racecougar
07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
What kind of tubing is he using? Is he painting it, too?

-Rod

Wzenheimer
07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
He only uses chromoly and that is welded to the frame if possible and in areas he can't he welds a pad to the floor along with the 3/8" bolts.

No paint but it will be NHRA certified.

Chris

racecougar
07-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Chris, that sounds like an excellent price. I forgot to ask, how many points? We had a mild steel 10 point cage built for a 90 Mustang that we used to run at the track a few years back. All points were either welded to the frame, or a plate was made and welded (not bolted) to the floor. We paid $700 for that cage.

-Rod

Wzenheimer
07-25-2003, 05:46 PM
that was for a 6 poiont cage. I was referred to him via Bob Stiegemeier. He as about a 1 month back log. I thought it was a decent price. He will not build a cage with mild steel. Chromoly is lighter anway.

Chris

kuhnga
07-25-2003, 07:13 PM
The price is good. Usually these guys put roll bars in race cars that do not have 4000 feet of wire on the floor. Quality will be the issue, is he taking all the interior out and putting it back or will you. You must weld by the dash, EEC, gas tank has to drop, fuel lines on bottom side of car ect.

Gary

ThunderRoad
07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
I GUESS GARY WILL BE GOING FOR THE LOW NUMBERS..............NOW THAT HIS CAGE IS IN....................OH !!!!!I GUESS I SHOULD,NT SAID THAT..............THE OTHER SC,ERS MIGHT NOT COME..............IT WILL BE INSTRESTING TO FIND OUT WHAT TIMES WILL BE TURNED,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FAST FREDDIE:D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ThunderRoad
07-25-2003, 07:50 PM
YOU KNOW MY VOTE IS " EAST COAST ROLLING THUNDER"............OK ,,,," KING KUKN ".....................FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool:

kuhnga
07-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I will not be in the 11's I just put the stuff in because I thought it would look good.
Gary

kuhnga
07-26-2003, 10:56 AM
I just deleted the 8 point bars, I has the 6 point harness. This place that makes them is 15 mins down the road. Shipping is like $90 dollars it weighs less than 90lb

Bill Evanoff
07-31-2003, 08:02 PM
I'll be there and hopefully in my red SC, which does not like idling these days.
If not, the XR7 seems worthy as long as I can get in the slow stock class.

Nettlesd
08-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Wow, Bill E actually posts here. ;) Good to see you posting here again Bill. I guess I'll see you at the Shootout. I've been working hard on getting my tires polished up. I wonder which gun I should bring to the Shootout.

93 Mark VIII
08-02-2003, 02:14 AM
I would think with 250RWHP in an automatic you could beat a 300RWHP 5-speed if you can drive better. Just my opinion.

Brian

Bill McNeil
08-02-2003, 02:25 AM
I would think with 250RWHP in an automatic you could beat a 300RWHP 5-speed if you can drive better. Just my opinion.

This man speaks the truth!

I think a 250 rwhp auto could beat me too. ;)

93 Mark VIII
08-02-2003, 02:40 AM
well if you don't think you can be competitive... did you see my post about stiegemeier heads? He has two sets ready to go, and the price is a little discounted :)

I will be going with my SC to race in the mod class, and although it will have heads with a cam and exhaust, that will be the only modificaitons. No ported blower, no overdrive pulley, no inlet, no raised top, no aftermarket I/C.

Brian

XR7 Dave
08-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Waa, Waa, Wa.

Come on, no fussing here. If you don't think you can compete in the heads up class, then go for the bracket racing! It's free if you pre-register, what more could you want? Not to mention the chance to dyno your car at the SAME dyno, on the SAME day as everyone else.

Seriously, it is very important that people understand why the rules are how they are. They were chosen arbitrarily to get the shootout on track and give people something to look forward to. If we change the rules every time someone objects, then we won't get anywhere. For this year the rules will go as listed, and it is VERY important that if you are INTERESTED in this TYPE of racing, you ATTEND and COMPETE. Like I said, the track fees are being taken care of by our presenting sponsor Super Coupe Performance, and so you have nothing to lose but your pride.

If you would like to make a difference in how the rules are drawn up next year, PARTICIPATE. If we see that our rules were totallly inadequate this year, they will be modified for next year.

This is not an event to prove that Chris Wise has the fastest SC - does he? But rather an event designed for the closet racers in all of us to get out and have some fun with other SC owners.

If you show up at the event but don't run your car, then you have helped no one and hurt only yourself. There are a number of prizes for things OTHER than 1st place, so don't sweat it. Not to mention that since this IS drag racing after all, there is always the chance that someone will break, redlight, or just plain F-up their run against you. No one knows this better than I who won the 2002 Nationals bracket event for no other reason than very simply I didn't redlight! Because everyone else did. :rolleyes:

XR7 Dave
08-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Bracket racing is pretty simple really. Reaction time and who gets to the end first are still where its at. Only difference is that the slower car gets a head start and if you run faster than your dial in you are disqualified. It's different, but lots of fun just the same. It takes just as much driver skill as any other type of drag racing, it just doesn't take as much HP to win.

Mike Puckett
08-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Randy, some of us there bracket race regularly and I especially, and I'm sure the others, will be willing to share any and all of my limited knowledge. I'm leading in points in the trophy street class at Atlanta Dragway this season so I must be doing something right. Come, have fun. Drag racing is a blast. Racing and winning is the best natural high I've ever experienced. Bracket racing makes it possible for anybody to win no matter how slow their car goes. A bracket racers nightmare? Having a 13 sec car and having to run a 21 sec car. That's 8 seconds of sitting at the light with adrenalin at full throttle saying "go."

Randy N Connie
08-03-2003, 12:06 AM
You all have missunderstood what I am trying to say so
I deleted, to stop the misunderstanding.

Thanks all for the suggestions RANDY

Randy N Connie
08-03-2003, 11:47 AM
We'll be there. I'm signed up for the race. Randy's signed up for the bench racing.

Connie

John Shelton
08-24-2003, 01:17 PM
I'll be there - but can't get the car there too.:(

In the discussion on NHRA rules, I haven't noticed any comment about driveshaft safety loops. If someone wants to be a stickler, this could be a problem for sub-14 sec. cars. I know - I've had the tech mirror under my car before.

The rule is that there must be a loop within 6" of the front U-joint for all cars running <13 sec. and also cars <14 sec. with slicks. Since there are so many <14 sec. cars out there now, it would be awful if Shootout results were challenged and winners were decided by a technicality.

Wzenheimer
08-24-2003, 11:28 PM
John is right guys. It would be a shame to get the mirror under the car and be disqualified. All the rules state is that you have a 360 degree loop within 6in of any U-joint. So the stock rear loop works but the front one doesn't. Plus I have had MAR question me about this issue several times. So get legal if you aren't.

Chris

XR7 Dave
08-27-2003, 12:24 AM
I run DOT tires. ET Streets. If anyone wants to give me crap about it then speak up now and maybe I won't run. Plain and simple. There is no way I can have a hoop in my car by shootout time so it really is take it or leave it. If someone can show where NHRA specifies ET Streets are a drag slick, then please show me. Either way it really doesn't matter since I can't change the car at this point.

On the other hand, this might be just the thing for me. It would put me out of the Super Mod class and I just might be able to kick some serious gass in the Mod class. Hmm, that sounds better to me anyway.

Seriously, please prove to me that ET Streets require a driveshaft hoop. I know Mike Puckett runs em, does he have a hoop????

XR7 Dave
08-27-2003, 12:27 AM
This brings up another point. If the results of the shootout are not final, and someone can be disqualified after the fact then that really sucks also. Please clarify this point.

Thanks, David

Mike Puckett
08-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Yes, I run ET Streets. Technically they say Big End Street Drag on the sidewall and are #3791 instead of 3792 for the ET Street. I'd be in the same boat but I've run them at 3 different strips and have never been questioned. Even running the NHRA Summit Series it's not an issue. I can't imagine that it would be a problem, especially when a car club like ours shows up enmass. For cars of our class tech inspections are typically just a pop the hood and make sure that the battery is tight. Maybe I should bring my BFG DR's though, if I can get both sets in the car.

David Neibert
08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Dave,

I don't have time or the desire to install a second driveshaft hoop either. I think we should make an exception to that rule and hopefully Chris can give us a ruling on the matter.

David

Wzenheimer
08-29-2003, 04:00 PM
The shootout tech will not disqualify you if you don't have this HOOP. However, just realize you have been FOREWARNED if MAR doesn't let you pass tech.

I know the time constraint about this hoop and understand everyones concern.

Once again you will NOT be Shootout disqualified, but MAR could require that you run on street tires.

Chris

Randy N Connie
08-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Y ou can buy or make a hoop for $25.00.

I seen a car brake the front universal joint u bolt.
He did one end-od and rolled two times.
It is entertaining for the spectators.Not
for the wife & kids though.

It takes I bet over one hour to drill the
holes and bolt on. & $35.00 with shipping.

That little 1/4 inch u-bolt that holds the
universal joint.Has a good 50lb shear
load.

So you guys with the 400wrhp should be safe :rolleyes:

ThunderRoad
08-30-2003, 11:47 AM
HEY GARY WILL BE OUT OF TOWN FOR A WEEK WILL CALL WHEN I GET BACK...........................FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :cool: :D :confused: