Custom IC sprayer (Long)

DGernmann

I know some of you have done this. I just wanted to share how I did mine.

First thing I did was move the battey to the trunk with a kit from summit (SUM-G1220A) I only bought the kit that has the 2 Ga. cables and such not the battery box. I then unscrewed the battery tray and mounted this in the trunk as well to hold the battery. Worked like a charm. This gave me room to mount the cooler.

I then bought 2 8" fans Permacool (19128) I mounted one on the back of the IC to pull the air and then another in front of the IC, as a blower (The fan blade needs to be reversed) on the back of the part that is located in front front of the radiator (I forget the name of it)

In order to do this I had to remove the nasty rubber according thing thats in front of the IC. This seems to restrict air flow since its only about 6 inches wide and the the hole is about 10 inches once removed.

I then used rubber washer hose--(using some type of metal hose is preferred) and a T connector to create the mister or sprayer. I held it with zip ties to the black mounting part thats directly in front of the IC.( this is the part that rubber according is connected to)

Next I found a 5 qt. cooler from Kmart, fit perfectly where the battery used to be. I cut a whole in this and then mounted a Ford washer pump to it and sealed it with silicone.

I wired the washer pump to a push button switch inside the car which is attached to the shifter ( I have a 5 spd. ) so I can hit it when I need it.

Project took maybe 6 hours or more including the battery relocation and cost was about--$188.

I wanted something that was not as harsh on the IC as the Co2 or NOS systems, plus it was cheaper.

I have not had time to test it, because my baby decided to break something else, but the intercooler is much cooler than it was before.

I will try to get pics but can't will this weekend, if anyone is interested.

later,
Drew

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for taking interest guys. I will try to get some pics for you. Give me a couple days and I will post them.

Drew

I wired the washer pump to a push button switch inside the car which is attached to the shifter ( I have a 5 spd. ) so I can hit it when I need it.

****Pics of this please**** want to see if it is on the top or whatnot... nonetheless i'm interested to see your work dude.... under the hood and in the "cockpit" haha

It should help some, though not too much. The efficiency of the stock intercooler is not that great.

The reason why more people don't go with your type of setup is that Water is usually not allowed at many tracks. But it sounds like a good job.

What they dont know cant hurt.....a Fine mist of alcohol on IC during the 1/4would work wonders..Window washer fluid is a little less corrosive and would work to a degree as well...Then again so would water to an even lesser degree ..T..However all would help dissapate heat from IC much better then just plain air could ever do...The new lancer evo and suburu wrx or whatever it is both have IC sprayers for a reason..They work..Now let the flames begin hehe..

Drew,

I thought about doing the same thing you did about a year ago, but I was concerned about being able to maintain the spray patterm at higher speeds (over 70 mph) and that water might get on the track and most of all I was concerned about spraying the water into an electric fan.

I'm curious to know how you mounted the nozzels with a fan on each side of the IC. Please keep us posted on how well it works or any problems you encounter.

David

Track

I don't run on the track so that is why I went with the water in respose to Mike's post.

David,

I was thinking about this too, that's why I went with 2 fans so one will push it and the other pull it to get the water to flow through it. I didn't use any nozzles, was going to use some high quality irrigation nozzles but they were $35 a piece, ,maybe in the future. I was also thinking about the electric fan but the other fans are electric also so, if water didn't hurt them them, then I am sure these will hold up.

I just used rubber washer hose, but think I am going to go with a metal type of hose to get the water spray more controlled, and reliable.

Everyone else, pics are on the way. My SC decided to break so I gotta get her fixed :(

I am going to post a rough sketch of the setup, later tonight.

Later,
Drew

Thanks

Mike,
Thanks for posting that. That is the tubing I was talking about. it sprays better than rubber.

However my setup is a bit more complicated and instead of using a washer reservoir, I use a cooler to help keep the water cooler, and incorporate another Fan for more air flow and cooling.

But he deserves the credit for the tubing.
Here is a rough sketch of my setup:

IC.bmp

Back