bad wheel hop...

dru440

ok guys i just bought the car today, but when i get on it, it was wet outside also i get bad wheel hop and then i shift to 2nd and i get bad wheel hop again, is this something im just going to have to deal with cause of the irs or is it just because it was wet out? thanks guys

normal, unless your rear shock bushings to frame are loose (could be worn shocks also), or the rear alignment is off. You have to "feather" the clutch to keep the wheels from hopping in these. Check the front mounts of the differential too (if they collapsed)

Keep in mind that wheel hop in the 5 speed is the same as wheel spin in the auto. both choices mean you have no traction so BACK THE F OFF THE GAS!!

Just had to do it, as if you are not careful, and allow wheel hop to continue, you could break something serious like the output shaft of the transmission.

Like Mr. AsScLoWn said, worn bushings and components in the rear make the wheel hop worse. Though even with all that stuff brand new, wheel hop can be an issue with the 5 speeds.

Some possible solutions have been proposed, and we haven't had final results posted on any of them. Ranging from a second set of shocks, to stiffer subframe mounts. Wheel hop in our cars is not up and down, but eliptical in a forward to backward motion.

Back