Cougar Wont start

eeh69

i still need help. i have an 89 XR-7, 5 spd. i replaced my block crank and pistons with used 91 supercharged t-bird. all other parts are off my 89,i installed new DIS, crank (gapped at .035) and cam sensors, new plugs and wires (Bosch Platinum). i checked codes and everything came up good, key on engine off of course. The thing wont start. it will turn over and fire occassionally it gets gas, and has fuel pressure, not sure how much pressure but it is there. i checked for piston TDC and valves closed, everything seems to be right. Fuses are good under hood and dash. i also checked coil pack it is good also tried a new one but it didnt change anything, FORD also checked it. all wiring connected, checked and rechecked.Coil pack is marked for firing and my haynes manual is the same.as for the cam sensor i didnt move it when i tore it apart. i took it off with timing chain cover and waterpump all as one.

it ran before i tore it apart, even after it broke a connecting rod.

any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
your CAM sensor may be out 180 degrees or quite commonly spark plug wires get mixed up.
Correct wire hook-up diagram to the coil has been posted many times (search).
Some of the "Haynes" "Chilton" manuals have the wire locations reversed.

Coil pack is marked for firing and my haynes manual is the same.
as for the cam sensor i didnt move it when i tore it apart. i took it off with timing chain cover and waterpump all as one.

eeh69 said:
hey all i still require assistance.
Unplug the cam sensor and repeatedly try to start it this way: key off, key on and crank for a while, key completely off, repeat at least 6 or more times.
Then check to see that you're getting spark and that you have fuel pressure at the rails. Also, if you turned the crank with the cam sensor shaft off the car, you'll need to realign it. Thats covered in the Haynes manual. Hope this helps. :)

trying today to realign cam syncro any other ideas.

This worked, thanks

Last edited:
Back