Starter keeps turning after car starts

supercatxr7

What would cause my starter to continue to run after the car starts and also run after the key is turned off. It did this a couple of times today, and then it was fine. What's the fix?

Starter relay sticking (the one just behind the battery) or the actual starter solenoid doing the same. I assume you have either an 89 or 90 XR7????

Mine just did that last week. Must be the heat. It was the starter on mine, but it can be just the relay sticking as well.

probably the relay up by the battery. that's a classic ford quirk, i remember my first car, a 66 galaxie, did that right after i got it at age 16....freaked me out!... it's a cheap part and easy to change

My 95 goes through fits of it for the past 2 years. Rev engine or start driving it stops or kicks solenoid back. Right now it isn't.

It could be your drive lever sticking inside the solenoid on the starter. This solenoid engages the gear to your flywheel and if the drive lever is sticking it will not snap back when your key is in the on position .

Last edited:
Mark, My '89 did that. For me it was the solenoid mounted on the starter. I was able to replace only that for $40 from Autozone, as opposed to a new starter for $100 + or whatever.

If the bendix is sticking causing your starter to stay engaged in the flywheel shut it off and go buy a starter.This is much cheaper than hopeing it will go away.It can cause severe damage to flywheel and bellhousing.Had to replace flywheel after the drive end of the starter exploded inside the bellhousing.Just lucky it didnt break the bell housing as well

Back