Just how big is a '90 SC's gas tank?

syphon

Hey everyone, I couldnt believe I couldnt find the answer for this on a search.

I'm just curious how big the gas tank in my '90SC is. Today I put in exactly 17 gallons and I'd always thought it was a 16.5 or something.

19 gallons per the PDF files the SCCoA has on each year (89-90)

18 gallons for 92

I didn't check out the other ones...

Last edited:
HEY Syphon you are right there is another Gallon in there that does not get used . There is a trickflow concept in your tank it is designed to keep the fuel at the pickup. 89-93 SC 18.8 gallons 94-95 SC 18 gallons 89-93 LX 21 gallons 94-97 LX 18 gallons
there were some V8 from 89-93 with bigger gas tanks up to 28 gallons.

Last edited:
stocker 89, I had always heard the SC 89-91 tanks were the 19 gallons and the 92-95 SCs were the 18 gallons ones with the capacity change being attributed to the exhaust re-route.

I have never heard of the 28 gallon monster. Did you have any more information on that beast? Was it a special order? It's hard to believe they could fit a tank that large back there!

According to Chilton in 1989 there was a 28.8 gallon fuel tank on the 3.8 C code motor this engine was also supercharged . I Have never seen a C code myself . I do know that parts are no longer made or avalible. It could be a typo ar a misprint.

Wouldn't be the first tech manual misprint! LOL Some books have the firing order out of sequence. That 28.8 probably should be 18.8.

I have not actually seen the reclusive "C" code SC either. We used to think it was the early ones with a cast (Duracast) crank rather than the forged crank. But then, the one guy with a cast crank has the "R" code as well. Always something new to learn on these cars every day!

gldiii Is it possible that these C code specs could have been early lightining spec that never got off the ground. maybe they had a idea to put the 3.8 SC motor in a truck but never got it accomplished . How about over seas like in austrlia could these just have been the blueprints for a motor that did not have to meet emissions.

Last edited:
All the references I have seen to the "C" code are on parts sites where they have the "R" and "C" supercharged 3.8L Thunderbird. I have no idea what it might be. We have been getting to know engineers that actually worked at Ford on these cars, so maybe one day we can get a real answer as to what the "C" codes were supposed to be.

That is really interesting! I may be changing jobs and will have a long commute to work. A large fuel tank would be great! I wonder if it would actually fit!? I think I will post a thread and see if any of our Ford guys bites!

Back